How to install XK-150 oil filter cannister?

Having issue reinstalling xk-150 original oil filter cannister. Cannister is a tight fit, come up to the distributor vac advance bowl. The bolt head to tighten the cannister on almost touches the advance bowl. any advice for getting this on easier? The new filter came with a thin and thicker round o-ring gaskets. My was has been using the thin one ok for years, but when I use the new thin one it leaks. Is the thick gasket/o-ring a upgrade? Do you just need to pull the distributor to get the cannister on? Thanks for any advice.

Hi Mark,

Hmm - I have a good amount of room. I recall it was easier to do it from underneath the car as there was more space to hold the canister in place with one hand whilst tightening the bolt with a ratcheting ring spanner/wrench in the other.

I ended up using my old seal: Oil Canister Seal 6883 Dimensions (XK150, E-Type, Mk2) - #5 by clivejer

Regards,
Clive.

Welcome Mark.
Without knowing much about the XK150, but looking at Clive’s picture, I would guess your vacuum advance is in the wrong position. You can reposition the distributor 60 degrees, and rotate your spark plug wires around the other way 60 degrees.
You would of course want to adjust the timing after this.
If that is something you are not familiar with, we can walk you through it.

1 Like

My cannister bolt is literally lined up perfectly with the brass fitting on the end of the advance cone. Brass tub bent a 90 degree angle to allow the cannister to even be held in the postion. Will rotate dist and fix wiring, The bolt end only touches the threaded area on the block mount if extreme muscle is used to fully compress the spring in the cannister. I know some xke’s have bolts that stick out from the cannister a distance and make it easy to thread the bolt into the mount. Wonder if all xk-150s have a short bolt? My bolt did not have any loose washer under the bolt head. Does it a need a washer to prevent oil leaks? Seemed to have a curved black washer pressed into the indented area right under the bolt head. Bought XK unlimited oil filter kit 02-gfe101p, it only had 2 large o rings (thin and thick) for block mount groove. The filter drips alot when car is started. chassis s830823dn. engine v4217-8.

Hi Mark,

I remember some frustration holding the canister in place and getting the bolt to bite - I gave up doing it from the top. You need the rubber washer (#8 in diagram) under the bolt head to prevent leaks. I got one from local hardware store.

The bolt is particular to this oil cleaner assembly, so I assume yours is correct.

Regards,
Clive.

With the help of an expert, got the filter cannister on. Had to use the thin oring gasket, it had to be tucked all the way into the groove on the mount, using a grease to hold it in place. Had to remove air cleaners and reach under them and also had to remove distributor for room. That fat o-ring just would not let the cannister seat right and the bolt just could not grab the first threads. But its on now. Had to use tiny screwdriver to tuck the gasket in around the cannister while centering it…It would have helped if Jaguar had designed the bolt 1 inch longer, so you could screw it in first, then center the cannister and then snug up the bolt.

Sounds like you might have the wrong bolt. Not unusual for cars this old to have wrong parts installed by someone back in the days when there was so much transferring of used parts from dismantling yards.

Mark
I have had many frustrating times with the original canister sealing, I ended up installing a spin on conversion, it only takes a minute to remove and install a new spin on filter.
You can also choose a long or a short filter from various manufacturers. seems like a short one would work for you. A kit is about $120 bucks.
If you are an original fanatic and don’t want to loose points while getting judged then the spin on will not work for you.
Morris Barnett

1 Like