How to mount C type badge on cam oovers

Every known original car that I have seen have had the 2 studs peened (mushroomed) including my current car, I like Rob’s idea of using push nuts especially with the relatively soft pot metal you will be hard pressed to remove them once in place so no worries about them falling off. Just use a small amount of high quality RTV sealant on the studs prior to installing them to prevent seepage of oil.

Really appreciate all the great help. Sounds like the plan is careful alignment and correct positioning (not upside down), drilling with the drill press with a slightly smaller drill, then in it goes, cut to a length that will allow mushroom peening and I will be set.

Jag lovers is a great group.

Press the emblem posts into a piece of paper or soft cardboard to imprint their positions one for each side in case they are slightly different and then use those as a template to position them on the covers.

| montyjag
September 19 |

• | - |

Really appreciate all the great help. Sounds like the plan is careful alignment and correct positioning (not upside down), drilling with the drill press with a slightly smaller drill, then in it goes, cut to a length that will allow mushroom peening and I will be set.

Jag lovers is a great group.

Jack did you note that your car may not necessarily have these badges?
What chassis number is it?

montyjag

3d

I have a legitimate XK140 MC car with a C type head, but the cam covers do not have the C type badge. I bought a pair from XKs unlimited and they have two pins on the back. Do I need to drill holes in the cam covers? Is it better to remove the pins and use high temp epoxy?
any suggestions most welcome
Jack, Chapel Hill NC

I am trying to sort that out now. The heritage certificate verified that the car is a XK140 MC SE, it was produced at the end of December, 1955 (chassis number S811891S. DN) and shipped to the US. The original engine was G63408S however the current engine is G8322-8S which has that same number on both the head and block and has a C type head but the cam covers do not have the badge. I have paid the people at Jaguar to track down that engine and find out which car is was installed in.

Interesting car. I bought it from a friend in California in 1985 and it was a mess. I almost dug a hole and pushed it in until I found a young fellow in Ashboro NC who has just left White Post and he reconstructed the body using lead and an English wheel. Fantastic work. He (Craig Naff) then went to California and built the body for the famous Cadzilla that is in the Smithsonian. An article in the New York Times recently said that getting Craig to work on your car now is like trying to get Rembrant to do a family portrait. Going back over my bills, I found the original bill from Craig. He charged $12.50 an hour for his work.

Car has since then undergone a second light restoration and is stunning.

Best

Jack