How to Replace Leaky Oil Pressure Sensor

I have an XJS, with the AJ16 engine.

How in the world can I get a wrench on to a leaky Oil Pressure Sensor? This isn’t the sender, its the sensor.

The new one I have (by URO) gets an 11mm wrench to tighten it, but it is so cramped in there, and I have to maneuver behind the sensor itself to reach it.

How has anyone here done it?!?

It looks just like that!

It is much easier if you use a crows foot wrench.

I was gonna suggest a crowfoot, but it didn’t look like it’d get under that sensor.

One idea might be to get an extra 11mm spanner and bend it 90 degrees. Or cut it off and weld an extension to it.

Or take the throttle capstan out, I find thats easiest.For a v12

He said he had the I6 which has the sensor tucked under the intake manifold. The crowsfoot wrench works well for that application. I had to use a 3" extension with it to get clearance and enough room to turn the ratchet.

Right on. Simply (!) remove the capstan and be done with it. It’s not like you’re going to be doing it often. That is, if you get the right sensor. Be sure you’re getting it from a parts supplier that knows how to find you the right part, since if it’s not matched to the dash gauge you’ll have to do it all over again.

Ed Sowell

I have an 11mm crowsfoot on order from eBay. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Unfortunately the AJ16 is set up differently. This sensor is immediately in front of, and perhaps a but below the oil filter. Removing the oil filter might or might not help. Access from below is useless.

I was able to replace the oil pressure switch that operates the light rather easily, it is behind the oil filter and easier to access.

Thanks for the tips. Will report back.