Huh...? XK120 DHC hood/convertible top frame has "Canada" stamped on it

Hello all, I have an XK120 DHC hood frame that clearly has the word “Canada” stamped on it. Any ideas as to why this could be so? I wonder if this hood frame was manufactured in Canada for Jaguar. It is from an original car that was parted about about 45 years ago. Thanks in Advance, Gary

My guess is that that particular piece of steel stock came from a Canadian mill and the stamping just happened to be there.

Do you mean it’s stamped letters done with a hammer and punches, or rolled with ink?
Rolling markings with ink is common with rolled and coiled strip stock, so if this is ink, the steel stock used to make the frame came from a Canadian source. The next frame made might have had the name of the steel mill and the one after that might have had the steel alloy number.

Canada does looked stamped certainly raw steel sections had various marking on them some printed some cast or part of the surface the ones most likely you will see on an XK are the 1 inch x 1 inch angle of the seat frames.
The most amazing thing is that the sheet steel used in the manufacture of XK body shells had the manufactures name etched onto the surface so if you strip the paint of an XK bodyshell with paint stripper - not sand blast you could find the manufacturers logo and only twice I have I ever seen it and on another occasion on my brothers triumph spitfire.

It is stamped, as in done with a hammer and punch, rather than rolled with ink. I had not considered that it may have been stamped when it was raw material rather than being stamped after the hood frame was manufactured in England. Thank you all for the insight!

if it is stamped it was certainly not done by the manufacturer of the steel and certainly not by Jaguar so who/why was it done ?

It sure surprised me when I saw it. Maybe it will remain some sort of Celestial Mystery. If it was stamped on the raw metal before manufacturing it seems like a coincidence that the stamping is well aligned in that rather narrow area of the hood frame. I am not suggesting it is evidence that the hood frame was made in Canada but it is odd about the placement.

A new meaning for the term ‘cold-rolled’ ( except in BC currently…)