I just read that Andrew Waugh is no longer with us

I’m sure that many of you had the same good fortune as I to have dealt with Andrew Waugh - While my activity has not been steady here as I got pulled away on other projects, I always seem to find his sage advice very accurate and useful on a variety of E-type related projects.

There is a lot of great knowledge here without which restoring an E-type would be vastly more of a challenge. Andrew was certainly one of those voices.

So - I’m a bit late on this but wanted to acknowledge his contributions here, and thankfully they will live on in the archives.

RIP Andrew.

8 Likes

He truly was a towering intellect: one of my biggest regrets is that we never got to meet in person. I miss him all the time.

he was not only sharp but a kind man. He once posted me parts and wouldn’t take a nickel.

Thanks Wiggles for chiming in. He left a positive impact in this community.

2 Likes

I have fond memories of (online) discussing the finer points of 420G in the early days of the forum.

He was keen to share his knowledge, not everyone is so generous

I think he was a moderator for some time and he had a good way of dealing with “issues”…by use of intellect :grinning:

I had the same thing happen to me as happened to him, at the same age, and the same time, I got to live, such are the vagaries of life

4 Likes

For a few days three months before his passing Andrew was our guest here in Niagara. A finer gentleman I have yet to meet. Several local J-Lers took advantage of Andrew’s Canada visit for a bbq meet-and-greet and very pleasant evening of gearhead conversation.

5 Likes

Very nice but who’s who ? I think I recognize you holding a beer in a blue checkered shirt but the rest …

Now you’re making me work … the first pic left to right

Andrew Waugh, Robert Laughton, Alan Dell, John Scherzer. Gerald Ireland, your’s truly, Dino Finelli, Clive Wilkinson.

2 Likes

Msn, I wish I’d have made the effort to attend…:cry:

Don’t feel too badly, Paul, I didn’t invite you … you are, after all, 1400 miles away … :sunglasses: I do regret not being aware of a few other local J-Lers whom I would have invited.

1 Like

Thx.
Looks like you guys had a good visit.

Yes it was. A great visit. You don’t get to know someone in a few days, even when it’s full time. But it was an amazing few days regardless. Nonstop, engaging conversation. Right up there with the best.

2 Likes

Only 1336: coulda made it in record time!

1 Like

I was not fortunate enough to have ever met Andrew, but I knew that he was a collector and expert repairer of antique watches and clocks, and that he lived in Switzerland. Therefore I was surprised when he sent the Smiths clock from his Jaguar all the way to the US for me for repair. I asked him why a Swiss watchmaker, who knew much more than I did about repairing clocks, would send his clock to me. He responded by telling me that he felt that I knew more about that particular type of clock than he did. High praise indeed.

I called upon his expertise later when I was repairing a 400-day clock. There’s a lot of potential energy stored in the mainspring of a clock that only needs to be wound once a year, and I needed to remove the spring from its can so I could clean and lubricate it. Andrew sent me detailed safety precautions and pictures describing what I needed to do. After I safely cleaned it and returned it to its can I wrote back to him. He responded by saying, “Since you are writing to me on a keyboard I assume you still have all of your fingers!”

He also helped me with my uncle’s WW2 Navy-issued Longines chronometer. That was a very cool watch, with a 24 hour dial and another little dial that indicates how many hours before it needs winding, and a bi-metallic balance wheel that changes size to compensate for changes in temperature. I didn’t want to mess it up. Andrew wrote long emails to me describing exactly what I needed to do in order to safely take it apart. He was very patient and answered all my questions. I was still corresponding with him when I learned that he had suddenly passed away. I was so devastated at the time that I couldn’t trust myself to write anything to the Jag-Lovers group. Even though I had never met him I considered him a good friend. I’m thankful that I now have the opportunity to add my memories to this tribute to a great man.

6 Likes

Through the hours we spent, conversing on the horn, and the many threads he posted here, I felt, and still feel, the same.

We get to know one another mostly through conversation. It could be your intimate take on the man exceeds mine through your greater interchanges in writing. And I understand your regret never having had the opportunity to meet him in life. Such is part of the internet phenomenon.

1 Like

Don’t some people just affect you that way?

…most everyone on here.

:relieved:

"“Since you are writing to me on a keyboard I assume you still have all of your fingers!”
Yes, I think I would enjoy his humor.
LLoyd

I’m suspicious of people who don’t like dogs.
But I trust dogs who don’t like people.

1 Like

I weigh more than anyone in this picture

and there was beer.