I Love My XJ6 SIII! What's Your Jag Story?

I was raised in good old Southern California. I grew up around mostly Toyotas and Hondas, my father is a big toyota fan, hes had a Tacoma since I was born (he still has it after 20 years). My mother has had Rav4’s and Corollas. My aunt is a huge Honda accord fan. As a young teenager, I spent hundreds of hours browsing the internet for cars. Daydreaming about driving old muscle cars and anything from GTRs to Ferraris to Corvettes and Porsches.

At the age of 16, my parents used to run a little swap-meet (flea market) stand on saturday mornings. I’d tag along with my younger brothers and help set up and manage the inventory. I decided to go for a walk one day and came across this shady looking mid 40s coin dealer running a collectible coin stand along with his friends. That was the start of my passion for coins and jewelry. His friendship became a very important part of my life. It molded me into who I am today (a young jeweler/coin dealer and I love what I do). It became my weekly routine to stop by his stand and buy some coins and stay and chat for a while. As weeks passed by, I was accepted by everyone else in his group of friends. I learned so much from them. You’re probably wondering what this has to do with my Jaguar. Well, this shady coin dealer loved classic luxury cars. He always showed up in his late 70s Custom Painted Mercedes 450SEL. He then purchased an early 70s Benz 280SE. I fell in love with the wood and leather. By this time I was already 17-18 and on the hunt for my first car. I decided the XJS V12 Covertible would be my first car. It was Gorgeous in every way possible. All the horror stories regarding the giant problematic V12 didnt get in my way. I wanted something that screamed luxury and sportscar at the same time. Every angle was perfect, Jaguar has that look that no Mercedes or Rolls Royce can achieve. I was hooked and this is when I officially got bit by the Jaguar Bug. At the age of 18.

After about 2 years of a low budget and no luck, my aunt upgraded her 2005 honda accord for a 2019 honda accord.(not surprised) I was offered her old honda at a very modest price. I took the offer. I was not happy with the car as it wasnt what I had in mind but it did the job. I remember always complaining about filling up the car with gas(even though it was somewhere around $30 every 2 weeks). As the year passed by(now 21), I decided to search for my dream Jaguar. By this time, I had a little money saved up. I happened to check out Craigslist one sunny day and I spotted a 1985 XJ6. I decided to go test drive it as I had never driven one before. It drove like a dream, I fell in love and there was no going back. I came back the next day with cash in hand. It isnt an XJS V12 but the XJ6 Series III has a character of its own. The curves and lines make me drool and daydream every time I look at it. I look forward to every morning to wake up the slick sexy cat :wink:
I’ve never been so happy to wash and wax a car until now. I no longer complain about stopping for gas, I actually look forward to it. Every time I drive down the road, I have a big smile on my face. I was surprised on how much attention and compliments i get every time I park in a public spot. The car gets looks every time I fill up at a gas station. I didnt buy the car for attention, i bought it because its drop dead gorgeous. Looks and compliments are just something that come with the package.

Theres something about driving a Jag! It’s an unforgettable experience. I’ve only had my Jaguar for about a month but I see only Jags in my future from now on. I look forward to the adventures with my XJ6 S3. Please share your stories on how you got your first Jaguar. At what age did the Jaguar Bug get to you.

6 Likes

I was under 10 in the late 70’s, living in South London and there the roads were awash with Jags of all shapes and sizes. The guys who drove them were the ones you knew, even at that young age, that they meant business…
Dad had the big Fords, a 3.0 Consul followed by a manual Granada 2.8 injection (in midnight blue) and then a Champagne Gold 2.8i Ghia X and I really loved that car. Roll on to 1985 and Ford come out with the new Scorpio, Dad went to buy one, all in it was £21,000. When I mentioned to my old man, “You can have a Jag 4.2 for 21 grand” he nearly fainted, the next thing I knew is that one Saturday in September 1985 we go in a taxi to Wadham Stringers in Guildford to collect his brand new Sovereign V12. I couldn’t believe it. They also sold Rolls Royce’s then but everyone from the dealership stood outside to admire the Jag. I remember clearly that after he turned the key he went to start it again and I said, “no stop its already running!” and so it was, ticking over at 750 rpm, the V12 was deliciously smooth. I new that one day that car would be mine.
Dad put L plates on it and I learnt my road skills in a V12, when I passed my test and came home to tell my mum she said “good, you can take me to the shops.” We jumped in the Jag and when i dropped her off in our little village she said now just turn round and wait here… I didn’t though did I, I went for a spin past the secondary school at nearly a ton and slide in to a car park almost side ways to offer a girl I knew a lift, She had seen me slither down the road and said “no thanks!” so I went back to pick up my with my Mum with my balls firmly in my throat from nearly crashing the Jag.

I bought a Fiat Uno as my first motor and Dad kept the jag for 10 years, all Jag main dealer service (about £1000 each visit back then) and after 8 years he had the body work restored and the colour changed from Antelope to Silver Birch. I used the Sov as often as I could, mostly Friday and Saturday night!! I’m not sure who loved her more, me or Dad but we shared so many wonderful memories that I hold close,

Dad could’ve bought the XJ40 but he didn’t like the shape. When Jag came out with the X300, he sold the V12 to my brother in law and bought himself a new 4.0 sport in dark blue, then a X308 3.2 V8 sport in Red and cream, then a 3.0 S - type and the last car he bought was a 2.5 V6 S-type. Apart from the MkI S-type 3,0, you know, the half Lincoln one, they were all great cars, we toured Europe countless times and did many hundreds of thousands of business miles in these Jags. I was very sad when every Jag left us for good.

Then in the mid 00’s after I crashed my Ducati 900SL for the last time, I told my brother in law that Peter Hugo, one of the better known purveyors of old jags had a manual 7 litre XJS (one of the first Lawrence Pearce Listers) for sale and that afternoon he dropped of the Sovereign V12 and said their you go, its yours, have this…

She was in a bad state, the bodywork needed doing again (she was left outs side) the suspension was quite tired, but she ran and I used it as often as I could.

Then in 2007 I had the bodywork bare metal restored and the colour changed, a mixture of silver birch and Rhodium Silver, 16" wheels and a whole raft of upgrades, Arden front lip, re chromed items new mirrors and glass, so many items changed and replaced. That little lot cost nearly as much as the car cost when new…

I did about 20’000 miles in her, once using 2 full tanks back from Le Mans in a little over 24 minutes!!
Then I took the plunge and bought an X350 diesel and that car killed my love for new Jags… I spent a small fortune on that car and when its bottom end went at 60k I pressed the Sov V12 in to daily service, up until the rad took a stone and the car over heated… She sat in my garage until last year when I started my mini covid rescue, what was initially going to be a mere engine swap become a mini restoration, doing all the things I knew I always wanted to do. A 5 speed box and a rebuilt V12 and repainted engine bay with basically everything restored, repaired or renewed, she will be ready in a month of so and I cant wait to reignite those long almost lost feelings for the old girl…

Dad would’ve been 100 years old this year, he would’ve bollocked me for spending so much money on the old girl, he was a businessman first and foremost but I know in his heart he would’ve been just as excited as I am about getting it back on the road.

7 Likes

My dad always admired Jaguars but was never foolish enough to own one. There was an Englishman who was a member of the Episcopal Church where he was organist who drove a S3 in the 80s when I was a boy. I always liked it and was a little disappointed when he traded it for an XJ40.

Anyways I still always liked S3s and on another automotive blog I read they were always posting ads for old Jags daring each other to buy one. So that idea got in my head and I started looking. And well…

3 Likes

Ediberto:

You write very well. You tell the tale very well. I like to tell tales as well…

My XJwuzza six has been here since 2001 !!!

It is not going anywhere. Oh, but it might, COVID restrictions are lessening !!!

I a bit leary of a break down and a ride in the cab of a flat bed Not good??

but, now I am VAXED and as safe as I can get. but, mask, space and hand washing are still in my life… And will be for the predictable future.

Carl

1 Like

Nice car. I’m guessing it must have been repainted, as I’ve never seen a 1985 XJ6 that color.

Ediberto,

concurring with Carl in the compliments for your writing - maybe you think about that jeweller’s career once more;-)? - I can’t compete with Mike’s early experience:

When and where I grew up as young kid a perceived 70 % of all registered cars were Beetles. A little later, by the mid-70s there was great variety, but 90 % of all cars had engines smaller than 1.8 litres. Jaguars with their huge engines and abundant power were around only in ubiquitous car quartets. The biggest car around was the company director’s Mercedes 280 SE.

My first encounter with a Jaguar was an E type appearing in the Disney film “The Love Bug” from 1968 - the first movie I’ve ever seen! I was so impressed with it that only a few years later when I had to go to hospital to have my tonsils removed - like just about every kid during this era -, I was given a Jaguar E type for my Märklin slot racing track. So this early phase gave rise to a dream.

It remained a dream for a long time - actually the first real world encounter with a Jaguar XJ must have been around 1980 when I almost got rolled over on my bicycle by a Dutch 12 cylinder XJ - on my bike I simply hadn’t heard the whispering engine behind me and thoughtlessly turned left right before him …

Even after classic cars had grown on me, Jaguars were still way back on my list. Rust, reliability issues and fuel prices in Europe were just prohibitive for a student. Only around the end-1990s, when the XJ SI turned 30 and the cars qualified for historic registration and cheap taxes they became an option. Around 2002 I almost bought one, but it dropped two ounces of oil on my driveway, so I let it pass. In 2007, searching for a family friendly classic car, I stumbled across an ebay auction with 38 mins time left. I bought the car and have kept it ever since. - No regrets, just time warp and lasting awe!

Earlier this year I let an OEW E type SII FHC with triple carbs pass - I’ll probably regret that, but in fact it wasn’t half as exciting to drive as the Love Bug was to watch!

Keep the faith

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

Thank you Jochen!
Being a jeweler is part of the reason I can afford such a gorgeous motorcar :sweat_smile:. Its a win win, I love my work and I love my car. Sure fuel and maintenance/repairs can get expensive but in my opinion, its completely worth every penny!

Your story is amazing. Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reading every word.

-Eddie

Mike,

What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing :grin: Such a gorgeous Xj6, I love the colour! Mine was originally a Cirrus Grey.

Youre right! Surely your father would be proud and just as excited as you are!
By the way, that girl missed out on such a wonderful time :wink:

-Eddie

1 Like

Ediberto,

What a wonderful story and what a beautiful car. I chuckled when you said you didn’t enjoy gassing up the Honda, yet you now relish filling up the Jag. It’s a good thing then that you’ll have to do it much more often for the Jag! I went searching for what other stories you may have shared with us and realized I had read your earlier post as well.

I’m so glad you and the Jag found each other. Maintaining it will be much easier with the guidance of the very knowledgeable and helpful members of this forum. I also have an XJ but it’s a 1979 Series 2 V12 and I love it. I also have a 2002 XJR.

So yes, I have the bug really bad, too. I’m lucky in that I actually got to grow up with a Jag in the family, a 1964 Series 1 E-type FHC that my dad got brand new before I was born. Thankfully, he never got rid of it when it stopped working. He left it in the garage, unloved but relatively safe. There it sat for at least a dozen years, collecting dust and serving as a repository for various and sundry garage items.

When my car enthusiasm budded as a teenager, its focus was on Cadillacs and their ilk, spreading over the course of time to sports and GT cars. It was then that I “rediscovered” the E-type. I officially caught the Jag bug and my passion grew from there. Long story short, after college I just had to get the E-type running again. I managed to rebuild the seized engine myself, with practically no budget and no experience working on cars at all.

My original engine re-build was just over 30 years ago now. Fast forward to the present, the E-type is in the last half of a full concours-level restoration with numerous performance upgrades. Work started at the end of 2017 and I think I see a faint headlight at the end of the tunnel, perhaps this year?

2 Likes

Cirrus grey, that’s what I thought. My 1986 car was from new ( and still is) Cirrus grey. Car still wears its original paint, and NO rust to be found.

2 Likes