iCarsoft i930 on 1998 X308

Anyone familiar with using the above scanner on a X308 because it’s confusing me!
Having problems with ABS light coming on.

1. First menu option “Diagnose”, press on that. Press “Automatic”. It goes through a lot of stuff but then goes to a list of systems you can choose from, as if you had chosen manual select. I would have expected it to ask if you want to read any fault codes from all the systems, clear etc.
  2. Second menu option “OBDII Diagnosis” press that. Goes through some things then get a message saying it doesn’t recognise the car, or something. Is this right?
    3.Go to Diagnose, then Manual, then ABS module. Read code shows something about front left wheel sensor. Clear code and light ABS goes off. Drove a short while, light came back on. Repeated above and ABS not showing any fault codes. If light’s on why isn’t it showing any fault codes? So confused!

The fault has to be seen on 2 drives for a long term fault code to be stored
I expect.

Anyone any idea why it comes up with “Error in Communication” when I attempt OBDII Diagnosis? It is connected to the car’s DLC, the ignition is on with engine running, and the car is OBDII compliant!

Have you checked the OBD2 fuse? The port may not be working because the fuse is blown?

It is working because when I go to “Diagnose” option, as opposed to “OBDII diagnose” one it successfully reads the ABS error code and can clear it.

The tool is trying to establish communication at different all those different standards.
My jaguar talk on the last one of the list. Does yours connect on that one?

Is that the list on the pic starting J185… ISO1… ISO9 … with fails on the right? If so, I can’t see properly as the hint window is blocking it, but last one starts ISO9… and can’t see a “My Jaguar talk”…

So it’s communicating with the Jaguar specific codes…very interesting.

Do you have any other generic OBD2 readers? That can at least tell us whether pulling codes from the ABS ECU is different than pulling the main ECU?

Just a thought.

I have a very cheap generic one that only seems to read emissions so no good. This one is supposed to be specifically for Jags. I honestly don’t know what it’s doing. I’m as confused as a baby on a topless beach.

I thought the engine needed to be off when connecting the reader?

You mean the engine off, but the ignition on? You need the engine on for it to report live data. Or do you turn the engine on once it’s “connected”?

Ignition on engine off

“Engine can be on or running”…

Off I mean!!!

Great! I bought this on the understanding it was suitable for my car!
And whatever does that mean?

Does this help?

I think it’s telling you to upgrade to the LR1 or LR2, which doesn’t make sense. You don’t need any of the additional support features the LR1 or LR2 offer. The i930 has worked on similar cars in the past. Something must be wrong.

I still find it bizarre that the jag specific codes are being read, but not the generic codes.

It seemed to be a bloke in sales that replied which would explain his eagerness for me to buy a different one and not give proper technical advice which is what I need! I did send the email to technical support!

Have I just wasted £100 on something that’s pretty useless, having been lead to believe it will do everything needed, and says is compatible with my car on the box?

Return it to iCar if you have a ‘Fit for Purpose’ Law where you live. I have a i930 as well and its not a simple tool to use IMHO