Ignition sequence and time

Hello together
I have a problem with the ignition.

I had my XK engine rebuilt by a professional in England and put it back on the chassis.
It immediately started up properly when I restarted it. Since I didn’t have the cooling system complete (without water) I turned it off immediately because I didn’t want it to overheat.
On the next start it immediately fired into the carburetor. He has run but it happened again and again that he has shot out of the carburetor. This behavior got worse and worse. I have the feeling that ignites too early so that the intake valves are not yet completely closed at ignition.
Strange is that it was perfect at the beginning and now is getting worse.
Does anyone have a smart idea from you what’s the problem is?
Gery

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

Remove the distributor cap and try turning the rotor. It should spring back to the initial position. If it feels stiff and doesn’t spring back, the problem is it needs oil on the shaft.
DVXH6A

Then when you are sure the rotor shaft is oiled, you can adjust the timing with the knob on the side. Turn it counterclockwise to retard the timing a little bit.

How long has the engine been sitting, in between the time it was rebuilt and the time that you have restarted it?

Thank you for the help

The problem has been solved. I have found the error. The screw on the clip that connects the drive shaft for the air flap was not tightened. This caused one carburetor was always on full throttle and he other regulated. That this does not work is clear!
Now the engine runs like a pussycat.

Does anyone know with which torque the oil pan screws must be tightened?

My wrist knows…:wink:

I’d wager 12-15 ft-lbs will suffice.

1 Like