Ignition switch for s2 e-type (1971)-more photos

We are trying to replace the ignition switch on a 1971 s2 e-type. We think the switch may be a Lucas LR039638 type. We have removed the plastic back of the switch but are unable to remove the body of the switch. We are also unable to remove the lock mechanism from either the front or the rear. The switch housing is connected to the steering column but the steering locking mechanism does not seem to be working
Any advice would be appreciated. Pictures attached.

Add images

That sure looks like the ignition switch of much later cars, like the Series III XJ6/XJ12, that I am very familiar with. I suspect that a Prior Owner or their shop modified your car with a later model ignition switch when the original one failed. There is no end to the possibilities of what they could have done during that modification.

Paul

Richard,
Attached are some pictures of the spare Lucas ignition switch that I harvested from a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 that was used in the Series III XJ6s and XJ12s and some of the early XJ-Ss. It looks a lot like the one that you posted in the pictures of your Series II E-Type but a lot different than the ignition switch that I have in my 1969 E-Type FHC.

The third picture shows the small fixing screw that holds the switch in place inside the locking steering column.
Perhaps a prior owner or his shop swapped out your original switch when it failed with something that they had handy from a newer Jaguar?

Paul

Dear Paul
Many thanks for your response and the photos that show the essential locking screw I agree that the switch you show looks identical or very close to mine
You have given me the incentive to crawl under the dash tomorrow afternoon and give it a go
Once again many thanks
Richard

My '72 S3 E-Type uses that same switch, which I have replaced twice since I’ve owned the car. I’ve since installed a fuse in the long wire that goes to the fuel pump, so I’m hoping this will be the last time I’ll need to replace the switch. Mine didn’t have the screw, so I infer that the switch was probably also replaced sometime by the previous owner, who left the screw out.