Ignition timing fine adjustment with a non- micrometer distributor

All,
I have read many topics concerning ignition timing and distributors, but can’t seem to find an answer to the question below.

I have a 71 Series II with a 41322A (model 22D6) vacuum retard distributor (no micrometer adjustment). The distributor was recently rebuilt in England by the “Distributor Doctor”. I did the initial adjustment by turning the engine by hand until the pointer was at 10 BTDC. This pointer is attached to the sump and you have to look up at it while laying on the ground. After getting out from under, I then rotated the distributor until the rotor was just opening the points at cylinder 6 and then tightened the screw between the block and distributor clamping plate. I did this with an audible “buzzer” on my VOM (volt ohm meter) so I’m reasonably sure that I’m close to the proper setting.

Can someone please explain to me how on earth one person is supposed to observe the pointer with a strobe (timing light) and then make a slight rotational adjustment to the distributor to set the ignition timing to be exactly 10 BTDC with the engine at 1000 rpm? Perhaps a mirror on the ground while kneeling by the distributor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Steven R. Card 54 XK120, 71 S2 E-type

1 Like

I have no idea what Jaguar was thinking …
Not convenient at all. You can get a pointer that goes on the top that you could read while trimming with the light.

1 Like

Roger,
Thanks, I read somewhere that someone added a new pointer near the top of the crankshaft damper. They must have scribed new lines into the damper to achieve proper timing.
Steve

Loosen the dizzy retaining bolt just enough so you can rotate it, but not so much that it moves with engine vibration. That way you can adjust, then pop your head under to see if you have it right.

1 Like

Erica,
Thanks. That would be the logical answer, only I’m getting a little less flexible with the passage of time. I guess I’ll skip the gym that day.
Regards,
Steve

as Bentley is found of saying…“with an assistant…”

I just always stuck a mirror underneath the pulley and pointed the timing light at it: worked fine for me!

1 Like

Hello Paul,
Or a current day upgrade of a cheap camera connected to a smart phone or Lap Top computer and the Timing Light aimed as in your original setup.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

(cough)…bringing us into the 21 st century.

nah, only the 20th. If you want 21st century, swap the distributor for a 123 or CSI and adjust the timing from your cell phone ap. Everything is better with bluetooth.

1 Like

All,
Thanks, I’ll try the mirror on the ground with timing light.
Regards,
Steven R. Card

Everything?

Maybe that’s what I should do, next time I’m back in Britain, is try to get some fish and chips, with Bluetooth.

:grimacing:

Steven,

I sounds like you’ve received some advice on how to adjust the distributor so I won’t comment on that. However, the numbers you quote in your post made me wonder whether you have seen the appropriate settings for the 41322 Distributor you have, a the ones you quoted sound more like those for the earlier (1969) 41207 model. Here is an excerpt from a Jaguar Bulletin concerning the 41322 settings:

Note that just to keep us on our toes Jaguar quotes the mechanical advance in crankshaft degrees, while the vacuum advance is in distributor degrees (multiply by 2 for crankshaft degrees). That said, many of us here would suggest that you abandon the vacuum retard altogether, and adjust the distributor curve accordingly.

Those are smog curves. Horrible.

No disagreement from me. Hence my closing comment.

1 Like

It`s quite any easy and fun job to make a new pointer and fix it so it points to the upper ( easily visible ) part of the crank damper . Then make some new marks on the damper - I used white paint so its easy to see . You can also check that TDC is correct at the same time . Makes checking the timing much more convenient .

I’ve used a large hair styling mirror for this. Just make sure to paint the marks with bright paint.

1 Like

So, what I gather is if you have a vacuum retard distributor, and the vacuum capsule is disabled, I should set the ignition timing at TDC? and rely on just the mechanical advance for the rest of the curve? Thanks

Dave

David,
I’m not sure if I follow you. Are you saying that the initial setting of 10 BTDC on cylinder 6 is incorrect for this distributor? If so, what is the initial setup? The information from the service bulletin does not describe the initial set up.
Regards,
Steve

David,
Sorry, forgot to add that I have not been able to start the engine. Also, is Dave correct about the 0 TDC setting with no vacuum retard connected?
Regards,
Steve