I'm Back! '63 FHC

Well, I just put a pair of cutters on the thing, passed the wiring through the hole, then put the grommet back on and with some gorilla glue, glued it back together!

Don’t need Gorilla Glue. Super glue is great and instant for gluing rubber together. Great trick to replace grommets when you don’t want to pull out the line.

I am unaware exactly where the switch was: @Clive_Wilkinson was the one from whom I learned of it.

As you say,you are not a lawyer

Scott, I have an OEM bonnett plug if you need one. I bought it from Mike Moore several yrs ago and never used it.

Yes indeed. I’ll send you an email.

Paul, when they made the switch on the rear hatch (door), what was the difference? I know the prop rod bracket is different. Were they other differences?

I considered cutting it but surely that’s not the way Jaguar did it? I do like the super glue idea for it’s expediency John.

“I considered cutting it but surely that’s not the way Jaguar did it?”

Of course not but you want to tear out the loom, just for a darned grommet??

No I don’t, but 25 years ago the “restorer” ran the main wire loom incorrectly so I had to tear it out anyway. This car has never been started or powered up since. It is out at the moment.

These changes are listed by Dr, Haddock and Paul Skilletter in their various books. Haddock refers to them as “the extensive rework of the Coupes” and I learned of them because I was restoring a Coupe that was built before the changes were introduced.

Practically the whole bodywork back from the windshield pillars was changed including the door shells, the window frames, the roof, the rear wings, lights, the tail panel, the hatch, glass and chrome trim.

These changes are very subtle and you’d need a trained eye to notice them, but most of the parts are not interchangeable. The only really noticeable item is the gas filler lid where on the early cars it was a rectangular shape as opposed to the later cars where it was made much wider and had a trapezoidal shape.

The changes were around \May 1962 at chassis numbers approximately 860476 for RHD cars and 886014 for LHD.

1 Like

I’ll be darned! I didn’t remember this detail, but now that you mention it, I do recall Tweety’s (885645) gas lid being rectangular,

Right, Thanks Clive. The car I have my spare rear door from is from 885766. It was originally my plan to use this door when mine was damaged by the movers. I’ve since resolved to use my original door, but perhaps I do not even have a choice? My car, 887030 was made in Oct of '62. I am not certain of the date of 885766.
I have noticed quite a few differences between the two cars, but unfortunately I did not get any photos from the earlier one and it has been salvaged.
Anyone want to trade an early set of seat tracks? they have the right handle on them.

Scot, you might want to save that old hatch and glass for someone restoring an early car. It would be interesting to where the difference it is if you ever have the chance to try it on your other car. I know the glass is a different shape and so is the chrome trim around it. I still have the original Jaguar OEM trim that I bought for my car until I discovered it won’t fit.

Yeah, that early gas lid opening is a bit tight to get one’s hand into, so I guess that’s why it was enlarged.

A couple of other things that might be noticeable are the scalloped out shape at the rear where the roof transitions into the wing above the light.

And behind the side doors, the rear wing shape bulges out somewhat whereas on the later cars, the line was flat.

1 Like

The very extensive list of body changes (6 pages of new part numbers) is contained in Jaguar Spare Parts Bulletin P.60 dated June 1962. It cites 860479 (RHD) and 886014 (LHD) as the changeover point.

1 Like

Yes, I will hang on to the older hatch. I have the steering wheel and column from that car as well. Maybe some day I can recapture some of this crazy money that’s flowing out the door! David, I have seen the list, but I guess I never realized the extent of it. I thought that when I bought the pieces from 885755 That I was “safe enough” with my car being fairly close in number. Fie on me! I have used some of the parts from the interior of the older car, but … alas, they are not totally compatible.
Paul, you and Clive keep showing me pics of such beautiful cars you restored. I just want my to run!

Scot & Scott,
My July 2, 62 build FHC has aluminum dot trim and the copper backing. You gave be an excuse to go down (my shop is in the basement) and just sit in the Jag. Thanks

1 Like

Looks good Jake. Yours should be fully modified to all the changes made a couple of months earlier than you build but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are inconsistencies. Like you should have the scallop behind the seats and the long seat tracks and your clock won’t have the diode in it to smooth voltage spikes. But that means you could change ground polarity without blowing the diode. The mods went on long after the May cutoff IMO.
I’m in FL on grandkid duty for a few weeks, so no jag time until Oct.

Still working on this. Don’t you all give up on me! I have been redoing the electrical harnesses and with a few more purchases I’ll have the wiring ready to start the engine. I need to convert to negative ground, upgrade the starter, get a new radiator, etc. But it is coming along.