I'm too big for my XK 120 and tired of politics

Or in my case, “Only 8 hours of effort to make it look like it fell off the flatbed while on the way to the body shop.”

While I have no complaints about fitting in my XK120 (a. I’m only 5’10" and b. I’ve yet to put the seats back in after 26 years of ownership) I remain skeptical that you oversized folks are trying hard enough. Take this fellow, for example. A truely devoted enthusiast.

1 Like

I used to be 6 ft. And many years ago when my ots e-type was still on the road a friend commented that I looked like Herman Munster with my head sticking up over the windscreen​:grin::grin:

1 Like

Suuuuure like to know how that glorified gokart managed that amount of oversteer!!

Hmmm I am just 6.0’ and got my 120 fhc back from the trimmers this week. I must admit its quite tricky getting in and out of the car! I have the standard steering wheel and standard seats. I have yet to drive the car but think its going to be a challenge especially using the clutch. Fun though!! ( and a nice problem to have)

1 Like

I guess when it sags a bit it will get easier .

1 Like

that’s a bit personal!

1 Like

Hi Phil:

Congratulations, the car looks great! One method I have used consistently from the early days with my M.G. TF regarding entry is to sit in first then swing the legs in, trying to put one’s leg in first never worked. And at 6’ 2" I have a couple more inches of leg to accommodate!

Chris.

I have a series11 that I was given about three years ago, it was going to a wrecker or free to a good home :slight_smile:Its now at the point that I am going to rename it Joseph (as in Joseph and his technicolour coat) the paint is faded in places and the new paint on various repairs has never been colour matched successfully:frowning:

Ditto, my E Type: never could get in or out any other way.

Phil:

In addition to rear entry (so to speak), as “Big Jim” outlined above, footwear is critical. As I possess size 13 plates of meat, and given that most leisure footwear (i.e. runners) tend to have very wide soles, many years ago I purchased a pair of Simpson race boots. These deal with my rather large foot, but are slim in width. Another one of the many tricks one learns in order to deal with the XK120’s somewhat confined interior.

Keep us posted on the first test drive.

Chris.

1 Like

Piloti, Sparco, OMP and other manufactures make leisure shoe variants of their narrow race shoes. Added bonus: their heels are typically rounded and will put less wear and tear on the heel pad of your carpet. Penny loafers wore right thru my heel pad in a mere 5 years and 14k miles.

12EE, here: when I raced, I crammed my “plates of meat” into 11B race shoes: couldnt hardly walk, but worked great IN the car!

12EEE. I have a set of race shoes for when I’m going to drive a car with closely spaced pedals for any length of time.

For a short trip I can get away with deck shoes like Timberlands, but if I’m wearing dress shoes I have to take my right shoe off.

I have a similar issue and it’s common among xk120. It is cramped and I’m just 5’9”. I am looking at Moss supplied alloy seat backs to fit the existing squab seat and allow tilt function. Does anyone have experience of these? I think it would give me around 3” additional space which would be ample. Other solutions are altering bullhead adjacent to battery box and switching to hydraulic pedal box all of which. Is a bit drastic.

Yea, and here I am, stuck with your castoff Strongbirds!

Have I thanked you lately for that?

Best gift EVAH, from a Canadian!

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Somebody–maybe @Mitchman–did some tasteful surgery on the pedal box area.

Twice castoffs. They were fitted originally to another E-type, not mine. They came from a wrecked early ‘69 FHC 1R25206, so now you know the provenance! Alas, a PO traded the original SU triples for the Stroms + cash, so the least I could do was rectify his bad judgement :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Even BETTER for the rat rod!

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Nothing wrong with good, clean Stroms, old boy. Delighted they’ve gone to a good home. And who knows? Maybe not their final resting place.

1 Like