In-dash casette vs. single CD player?

Ahoy !
Re: 2002 S-type, with premium sound & in-dash cassette player & in-trunk CD changer.

I would be very happy with the single CD player in the dash in stead of the cassette player. And, I do not need a multi-CD changer in the trunk nor anywhere in the car.
Has anyone removed the in-dash cassette player, installed an in-dash CD player and dropped/removed the in-trunk CD changer ? Is the task as direct as pull apart/disconnecting and pulling out the cassette player then, to put in and plug together/connect the CD player ? And, then to go into the trunk to disconnect and remove the CD changer ?
Thanks.
R. Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro

My car is an X-type, but I am pretty sure the application is the same. I had the same set up as you in a couple of my cars (a 2003, and a 2002 X-type). I bought the single, in-dash CD player, and simply switched out the in-dash units. It was just plug and play. The steering wheel audio controls work the same as on the old units. You may need to disconnect the unit in the boot, but I am not sure, as it was a couple years ago that I did the switch.

Hello.
Thanks.
Since the car has “Premium Sound” must I search for a CD player that is also “Premium Sound” or, is “Premium” not relevant to whether CD or Cassette players ? I am thinking not relevant but, asking for certainty.

The S-type is new to me - maybe two months ? - so, much to learn.

All the best,

Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro, U.S.A.

Ahoy !
2002 S-Type has been laid-up all Winter so, now to get back to it. (If the Chicago weather ever warms-up and dries-out.)
I am thinking that the 2002’s configuration of the console control panel will not accommodate an in-dash CD player. On-line for photographs of S-Type and X-Type consoles fitted with a CD player, their heater controls and radio controls are located differently: theirs have heater controls top & radio controls bottom whereas my 2002 has heater controls bottom and radio controls top.
Anyone have a 2002 with an in-console CD player ? I am curious if such was offered.
I am not going to replace the entire console which, to my ignorance, looks like the only option for the 2002. Hopefully, a JPG format photo of the 2002 S-Type console is attached.
Regards,
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro; U.S.A.