In the process of buying an XK120 FHC

Some update after roughly one month of ownership and driving (1000 Km).

We cannot be more please with our purchase. The whole family, any occasion is a good excuse to use it.

Nothing in the car has disappointed me so far, no rust, no hidden foibles so far.

Here is a list of the things made, which perhaps any prospective buyer may, or may not, find interesting.

• Due to lack of knowledge by the previous owner:
  • Pitman arm and steering worm completely dry: gradual lubrication (thin oil, thick oil) brough them back to life
  • Play in steering not set (laugh not, it will make the car feel horrible)
  • Brake throw back (pedal adjustment screw) too much backwards, made the pedal feel dead. Purging the brakes and adjusting the throw back transformed the car, together with the steering.
  • Coolant hoses, air hoses and all sorts of rubber changed.
  • New aluminium radiator (intending to drive to Spain this summer)
  • 123 ignition (not sure why I did it, as contact system worked well, but not that expensive and has the advantage of easy adjustment, will report separately on before-after)
  • Carburettor overhaul (the big cork seals at the bottom were leaking, replaced with Bio-ethanol compatible)
  • Restored the heating (it literally roasts now)
  • Several tweaks (adjustment of glovebox lid, was more difficult than expected), oils, door rubbers, etc…

Total expenditure ca. 3000 Euro post purchase, car was bought at 70k€, which -I understand it’s an expensive toy- makes me really happy with the investment.

Voilà voilà.

Will post pictures next time a drive it, when the weather is kind.

Best,

Ll.

2 Likes