Inoperative sunroof

A week ago, it was hot and sunny so I left the sunroof open and windows down and didn’t notice that later it had started raining hard. By the time that I got things closed up, the interior was soaked and water was pooling on the seats. Once the rain stopped, I pulled out the carpet protectors, toweled off the interior and placed a fan on the floor to help dry things out. Everything is back to normal now except that the button to open/close the sunroof will open the roof, but not close it. Fortunately the global locking feature using the key in the driver’s door will close the roof. There does not seem to be any water damage around the panel on the roof that controls the various lights and the sunroof, but I’m wondering if maybe that switch is defective. Any ideas on where I should go from here?

Make, Model, Year??? (this section covers 1995-2009)
(I hate mystery cars)

bob

Sounds like it’s worth changing the switch if it’s an x308

Sorry, the car details are in my profile and I forgot to add them to my post. It’s a 2002 XJ8 VDP.

Jaguar already anticipated your problem and issued a TSB about 20 years ago!!!

501-26 Sliding Roof – Diagnosis & Repair.pdf (108.4 KB)

Vague recollections that this has happened before, way back and the culprit was some module at the rear of the cockpit. Try the Archives with a search.

Thanks for the replies. To do the diagnosis, it looks like I need a “PDU”, whatever that is. This problem appears to be well above my pay grade. For now, I can get the darned thing to close by using the Global Locking feature. I understand that there is a method for closing it if the electrics fail completely. Do you know what that procedure is?

I found the method for manually closing the sun roof; it doesn’t look to be too difficult.

You don’t NEED PDU but it helps.

Here is another TSB for the X300 but ALL the sliding roof parts for the 1995-1997 XJ6/12 are identical to the X308.

13-34 Sliding Roof Control Module.pdf (76.0 KB)

bob

thought u were putting the key in the drivers door to close.

Or inside while driving, you can press the dash lock button (to unlock) and then press and HOLD the lock button will close all windows/roof

Yes, Andy, that’s how I am having to close the roof. I didn’t know about closing it and the windows with the dash lock button. I’m going to give that a try because that should enable me to close it while I’m driving.

Thanks

Cool! Pressing and holding the dash lock did function as a global locking mechanism. Now that I know how to close the roof while I’m driving, I’m going to let well enough alone with the roof switch. I’ve put more money into repairs on this car in the 4 years that I’ve owned it than the car is worth. I really don’t want to spend probably several hundred dollars more to fix this annoying but minor problem. Thanks for all of the advice, guys.

1 Like

The grey cells are slowly kicking in, thereis adrain at each cotner of the sunroof and thesr block the front right causes water to flood theRCU and the rear left IIRC the module to control the sunroof it”s behind the herl board. Check and clean it’s connection,

don’t think there are any sunroof control modules behind the heal board on an x308.

Thought the control unit is in the roof. That PDF should confirm

Front sunroof drains are clearly showing in the wheel arch.

If you should wish. Crack the roof open an inch. Get a cup full of water and carefully pour water into the corner hole. Does water appear by the front wheel? May need a second cup full.
But maybe best not to check!

So a blocked drain could allow the roof to open but prevent it from closing with the control panel switch? It does close normally with the key in the door and the dash board locking button.