Installing the engine from below, what ancillaries?

My project is stalled for paint until next June, so I’m wrapping up the mechanicals, ready to install. My painter is a snowbird, gone to Florida for the winter. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:
For those who have done it, what ancillaries can I mount to the motor prior to raising it from below?
I’ve got intake and carbs, as well as exhaust manifolds installed. Clutch and transmission to follow.
Can I mount the generator? Anything else?
Do I need to remove the engine mount supports from the car frame for clearance?
Thanks for any advice you can provide.
I’m also getting ready to upholster the seats, console, etc. Long winter and spring ahead.
Best regards.
John G.

What are you putting this in? Does it have a sub frame?

1964 Mk2.
The suspension subframe will be out.

1 Like

This is how we installed our 3.8L engine and BW Automatic Transmission in our MK2. As you can see, if you don’t have a lift for the car, the font of the body needs to be raised fairly high. I used an engine hoist with soft straps attached to the inner bumper mounting points to raise the car and then I placed jack stands beneath the front jacking points to stabilize it.

I installed the exhaust manifolds to the head after the engine was mounted in the car. The engine may be installed with the exhaust manifolds mounted (which is more convenient), but the clearance between the manifolds and the bottom chassis rail is pretty tight. As I had our manifolds re-porcelained, I did not want to risk chipping the new coating as we lowered the car and raised the engine into position. I installed the generator/PS pump after the engine was in the bay. I suspect these will pass through the opening if installed to the engine first but clearance will be tight.

3.4/3.8 litre engines will not fit through the opening with the SU carburetors mounted to the intake manifold. If you own a 2.4 litre engine, the twin Solex carburetors will pass through the opening.

I believe that I removed the engine mounts from both sides of the engine prior to moving it into position.

I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Great info, Brian.
Much appreciated.
Your car looks great!
John G.

You can fit the starter but not the dynamo. Fit the inlet manifold, but remove the front 4 studs. The exhaust manifolds are best left off as is the water pump. The latter can quite easily be fitted through the radiator grill aperture. Leave off the oil filter housing as well.

Good to know.
Looks like I need to remove some components and buy new gaskets. :thinking:
Thanks.

That is one impressive project, well done. Envious.

It ain’t Old English White, more like non-Jag palette. Ivory ? What’s the planned upholstery color ? Looks like my ‘cup of tea’ :heart_eyes:

You might be able to get it up just by taking off the exhaust manifolds

(and the metal fan)

I would take measurements, and it is possible to make a profile out of cardboard boxes to check if that will work

You would not need to get new exhaust manifold gaskets, (imo)

Second that, reused some that already had a few thousand km on them (the reason was head had to come off for 4 bad valves due to really bad fuel, my fault). No leaks or other issues, so I say they are reuseable if they don’t tear

Here are some photos of the engine freshly removed from my 3.8S by my local shop a few years ago. Looks like the carbs were off, exhaust manifolds pulled away from the head and tied back, generator and bracket removed, starter, oil filter, and fan still in place. Tach drive removed. When the engineless car came back to my garage for the duration of the engine overhaul, the radiator was still in place although I removed it and flushed it thoroughly myself.

Here are some photos from my engine swap:
https://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_view.php3?id=1032138531

The carbs are off, the exhausts are on, the distributor is off, and you’ll probably observe a few other items.

Thank you for the kind words… :+1:

We refinished our MK2 in its original Cream and Beige livery. Beige was not a standard trim color that was offered with a Cream exterior, but it could be ordered if that was one’s preference. Our Heritage certificate confirmed that Beige was the original trim color for our Cream painted car.

1 Like

Is the steering wheel an original 17” Derrington or the 16” Motolita?

Hello John,
These pictures show the engine having been removed from the bottom of the car?

Seems to me, based on your pictures, that I only need to remove the carbs and the fan.
Interesting point on your pictures and John’s is that the engine mount supports are unbolted from the frames, not the actual rubber engine mounts. That will allow a few more inches of clearance.
Thanks!

It’s an original Derrington. Our MK2 was well equipped with options from new. It has Reuter reclining front seats, a Henlys armrest, chrome wire wheels, Lucas Fog Ranger lamps, power steering and Sundym glass. The original US owners took delivery of this car in Europe and Jaguar shipped the car to California when their holiday was finished. It resided with this family for 42 years before moving on to a new owner. We acquired the car from the second owner.

That’s great Brian! Mine has an original ‘Derrington’ wheel (which needs restoration), was delivered new from Henlys with wire wheels and a sunroof! The car was originally Sherwood Green with a Suede Green interior. Who knows, one day I might be able to put it back in that configuration?