Interesting new tool

This is new to me at least, saw it on YouTube yesterday. Anyone seen/used it?..

https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-640811-Back-Tap-Thread-Repair/dp/B0014FGVVW/ref=asc_df_B0014FGVVW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312192774361&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15622590147120500454&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010792&hvtargid=pla-561833142948&psc=1&mcid=74354cb0de633266b193cccd18578dbd&gclid=CjwKCAjw7-SvBhB6EiwAwYdCAdJpdKPKd3emqLtBdNguJCMlkqXrtBYlfxXZAsYN2voiyjJ0sO03URoClP8QAvD_BwE

1 Like

Yep! Had one for yonks.

Works good/not good?

Yeah it works pretty good! I put a little bit of grease on it first and then run it back out and it’s pretty good for cleaning up threads.

Any worries about swarf falling in the spark plug hole?

If done properly, no: that said, any teeny tiny bits of swarf that fall in the cylinder are aluminum. Over the years, I have chased threads on thousands of spark plug holes in situ – – think VW’s! – – and it is of little to no harm whatsoever. It just blows out. That’s why I use grease, to minimize any problem

1 Like

Do you have damaged threads, Les, or just dirty threads? Carbon loves to blast up, and the exposed threads on the plug get covered in carbon and drawn through the head threads, leaving some behind. I prefer to use a thread cleaning tool. Note the threads are dull, non cutting, and it has wide channels to collect mess.

https://www.amazon.com/ARES-Limited-Access-Perfect-Confined/dp/B077MMG9CL/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2VFPITE6P7YW6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.fw45nM0rH1Vj_gCSu-26AyWp29etE1Bz6E1oePMtPsGMSpJ2gM16TlZTQu38SpU-gFa0VTscNtdzfKU7rv-j7zb4uEdDc_Fw7KCLHLJa_Y_j3T10yg6ReOkeRqs3dWMqSzmPML2_WnvLeFEODY2trtLRb0dRasgS2Z4CchLHnvZ9XVrw9L3bU0v3FbOXUmCE1kJllvgKMxKJGmI83PZXEw11w6aIWVLNLXyHbRtVZ8Bzm1fXg3e1HoOlpZqzzQk9yq5KKS87sHmNiEKOHGkTYUUy5dkam5gsDBmwrw9hwkc.dwz6mxgFL1C_8IhJEiOVI38rJo3ZcxNu6rys1aivI0o&dib_tag=se&keywords=spark+plug+thread+cleaner&qid=1711029409&s=automotive&sprefix=spark+plug+thread+cl%2Cautomotive%2C231&sr=1-4

2 Likes

Nooo nothing of the sort Erica, just thought this tool would be interesting for those with screwed up threads.

Not if used properly. Look it up on YouTube, there’s a guy on there extolling the virtues of it.

Essentially you enter in into and through the spark plug hole, the you turn the adjuster which spreads the threads and then you draw it back out of the hole. The art is to have, as mentioned, some grease on the threads to catch swarf then carefully without over-tightening the tool, wind it out and in doing so one cuts a new thread, or repairs the old.

It relies on the notion that the damaged threads don’t go all the way through the head and it uses those good threads from the bottom, to track correctly back out and in so doing, repair the damage.

Very cool I thought. Have ordered one.

1 Like

To absolutely minimise swarf

before start, bring piston to near TDC, smear grease on area directly below plug hole with small custom scraper like used ground hacksaw blade

using lots of grease and cleaning on cutting tool, only few bits of swarf will drop down and be caught in smeared grease on piston, clean up with scraper and rag

Inspection camera helps