Interior Light Delay/Mirror Switch

I just bought an original sales booklet introducing the “new” Series III XJ6 with date 12/79.

It says the new XJ6 had the interior light delay. I have never seen a Series III North American XJ6 have the light delay. Also, it appears to show the mirror adjustment to be buttons instead if the knobs. I sm wondering if the pics are pre-production?

Richard

Early cars had the delay feature.

The picture of the mirror controls looks like buttons but they’re actually black stalks… and it shows the earlier, non-angled chrome fixture

Cheers
DD

It is not unusual for launch brochures to differ from the production versions, Richard…:slight_smile:

However, the delay relay was omitted from 83 - mine does not have them. There may also be market variations, for some unknown reasons. The brochure is also at fault by mentioning ‘courtesy lights’ being on the delay only the interior lights was connected to the delay. The courtesy lights traditionally refers to the ‘puddle lights’ in the doors - which is useless for interior illumination, and are turned off with the doors closed.

The delay relay sometimes caused electric issues, which may have induced the elimination - but waiting for the interior ligh to turn off also had its drawbacks. A delay illumination of the ign key is a nice feature on cars, but the opticell set-up might have been considered overkill… ?

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Euope (UK/NZ)