IRS Custom Carrier

At some point I saw someone post a picture of an IRS carrier with a stronger custom bottom plate.
As I get ready to recondition my IRS I’m wondering if anyone knows who posted that or where it might be found.
Long shot but thanks

Hi John, I think Classic Jaguar in Austin, TX makes a billet bottom plate. Give them a call or visit their website.

Regards,
Allen

1 Like

Rob Beere Racing in the UK also makes alloy plates. I have one, not because they are stronger, but just because my original tin one was a bit mangled, and the alloy one makes a better jacking plate (with matched wood block). I would say there is very little to no strength benefit in having a ‘stronger’ bottom plate. The diff housing and attached inner fulcrum rod brackets are where the strength lies. The hot rod community has used the jag IRS without ‘cage’ and plate for decades, with great success.

1 Like

I have one. Here is a picture. Like Steve, my original was mangled so I opted for the bling.

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

Rick, WOW on the headliner!

Allen

Will do thanks.

Yes my main motivation is also a slightly mangled plate. While researching multiple sites a member from jaguarforums.com posted this on Jag IRS with unwanted rear steering issues in competition and a plate fix which I thought was also quite interesting. Great read. Not at all totally unlike the dreaded “Death wobble” of Jeep Wrangler fame.
E-Type Rear Wheel Steering, a Solution | Jaguar Clubs of North America

Would love an update as to anybody else doing this “T” plate, as I have the exhaust off, currently and have access to a water-jet cutting service, to help in fab. In my case it is a 2+2, which I think retains the same dimensions from the leading point of the radius arm-to-the-bottom-IRS-cage plate. Made multiple attempts to contact the author of the article w/no joy.

1 Like

Stay in touch Huff!

Found this at Rob Beere Racing . Performance Rear Axel plate . Works out to about $125 US plus shipping. Nothing currently on Classic Jags web site.

A truly beautiful ass end!!

1 Like

That rear steer problem is not caused by a weak lower tie plate: that’s caused by the trailing arms.

2 Likes

Right Paul…other than the obvious function purely cosmetic (well sort of). That was quite well explained in this excellent article.

https://www.jcna.com/e-type-rear-wheel-steering-solution

gorgeous mate

take a mirror to shows ? :grinning:

shame we dont have a Jetsons E-type

1 Like