Is it to far gone? '85 XJ6

Mike: Congratulations on your project. I use the word “project” because ownership of an antique vehicle can take many forms. You have a vehicle that is about forty years old. If you were buying a vehicle for daily use, you would never buy a car of this age for a number of reasons. Parts are somethings hard to find, (you can’t buy parts at Walmart) and some people will think you are nuts for wasting time for a “OLD” car. But you may like the design of the car, or it may bring back memories of time past.

If you take care of the car yourself, you will have the satisfaction of being able to repair a vehicle. You may also join car clubs, get to know a lot of interesting people who have the same hobby.

I wish you the best of luck.

Regards: Lou

Thank you all for the words of enlightenment. I am going to keep the car and at least get it running then reevaluate the situation. I am trying to get the car moved into my garage but can’t seem to get it to budge. I thought that the brakes were seized so I got the rear off the ground and tried spinning the tires. both wheels spun by hand with a bit of elbow grease but when I lowered the car back down to try and push it again I am unable to get it to budge. My next step is to lift the car again and mess with the parking brake and components. Any other input is greatly appreciated.

If you can turn the wheels the transmission may be locked (in park?) or the front brakes have seized? Are the tyres flat on the bottom?

When in neutral only the wheel I am physically spinning will move. When in park both wheels will spin just in opposite directions when I am turning only one.

Okay, so it’s either the front end or the tyres have flat spots. Can you pull the car or drop it on some kind of ramp?

I will try and pull it with my truck and see what happens. Will update after trying.

Front wheels ?? Free or dsk out of lace

And, they are eavy even when everting s free ask me!!

Can yiu push it in with another car. i did that once, with my fq50. bumper match not ptimaol shold have used a tre in between

Get a come along. A hand wich of sorts. Anchor toa garage stud and then crank t in.\

I tried pulling it with my F150 and it didn’t budge. I did not pull it hard enough to squeal my truck tires as I didn’t want to damage anything. When I get back home I will jack the front end and see if those wheels spin freely.

Sounds good. Good luck!
You can try to loosen the brake lines at the calipers and then get the brake pads out somehow. They may be difficult to remove.

The culprit was the front brakes. I pulled the brake lines off both sides. Passenger side came out with slight encouragement. Driver side is stuck. Going to try again tomorrow.

Something to keep in mind is, this was your granfather’s car and if he bought it brand new, it would have been his pride and joy, I expect. As mentioned, at the moment, to most people it’s just and old car and likely a money pit. But that description would also have applied to cars my granfather had; they were bread and butter cars, so when their useful life ended they were scrapped. Now people want those cars because they evoke memories of good times, and pay good money for them. That will probably also apply to your XJ in some years time, because there will be few left. Think hard about what it might mean to you or your kids in 10-20 years time.

I doubt that the XJ will ever truly go up in value. That being said they are good cars and better with history.

You can easily remove the front caliper if the pads are too stuck, just safety wire, two bolts and the hard line, maybe a distance shim.

I’m not sure I agree with you David. About 45 years ago, I cried enough with my Mk 1 and parted it out, the engine went to a local stock car racer and he gave me a 1957 Mk 2 Zephyr and cash. A few years ago, on Trademe, here in NZ, an XJS was advertised for sale, and vendor said he was selling it to fund the restoration of a , wait for it, Mk 2 Zephyr. So an old crappy Zephyr was considered more valauable than an XJS. Of course, since then the XJS has tripled in price. Over here poxy old '70s Holdens and Ford Falcons cost $70 - 80 K cars that 20 years ago would have cost $1K. Old cars, whatever their stripes seem to go up in value, ultimately, some more than others. I had a 1971 Mazda Capella, absolutely horrible, engines crapped out with alarming regularity, sold it for $1200, now would cost a minimum of $80K. I agree the XJ may not reach the heady heights of the Mk2, or sports cars, but eventually someone will realise what great cars they are and then the few survivors will be recognised. Don’t forget XKs, E Types, Mk2s and S Types all hit rock bottom before rebounding and the XJ is pretty much a match dynamically with much more modern fare. IMO.

Interestingly I see the XJ is now pretty popular with the custom crowd. There seems to be any number of them being fitted with air suspension, huge wheels, various engine transplants and whatnot.

1 Like

If the wheels spin in opposite directions it indicates something’s locked in the transmission.

And the front wheels then turned, Mitch…?

Indeed not - if the car is willing to roll you don’t need an F150 to move it. If you try and drag the car on stiff wheels - something is bound to give…

If all 4 wheels can be turned; the brakes are not the cause of immovability

In principle; in ‘N’ both wheels should rotate in the same direction, the propeller shaft and gearbox is free to rotate. But it both wheels offer enough resistance, only the wheel turned will turn the propeller shaft.

In ‘P’; wheels rotating in opposite when turning one wheel means gearbox is locked up by the parking pawl - as indeed it should be.

Ie, if neither the parking pawl or the wheels preventing the car from moving - what is??

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

My XJ is 52 years old now and while it surely has been worth less at some point it isn’t outrageously expensive. People around 60 looked up to it when they were young and the cars were special, but these people buy etypes etc. because these are smaller, faster, fun weekend cars. XJs are big and thirsty but built to be comfortable long distance cars - and modern cars do that better. Although I like driving longer distances with the XJ I am in the minority. Thirsty cars are more difficult to own every year, and their future is uncertain.
They will thus never go up in value so much that it will make a real restoration worth while - unless it’s a coupe maybe, because those have gone up in value for a while now. As much as we all want our XJs to be appreciated and valued the way they could be it will not happen, and rarely you will see one in great condition above 20 000$ (that is worth that money).

1 Like

Your points are certainly valid, but being expensive to run doesn’t seem to stop people buying, lusting after even, huge big block American cars that do 10 mpg on a good day. It’s also true that value of a car is rarely related to its ability. I simultaneously owned an S1 XJ12 and Holden Monaro 327, and had to choose which one to sell. I took them both for a fast drive up and down the rural road where I live and while both were easily capable of pulling 100mph up the substantial grade, the Holden was noisy, with vague steering and all over the road, whereas the Jag was almost silent and could be guided, literally with thumb and forefinger on the wheel. So, I sold the Holden, current value somewhere around $300K, Jag, you’d be lucky to get $10K. But in 10- 20 years, who knows?
But, in the OPs situation, is this a car, or part of his grandfathers heritage, something to be passed on? Only he can answer that.

Hi,

That is also why I have advised people interested in an XJ to buy the very best they can find, because it will be much cheaper. An XJ6 or an XJ12 that needs bodywork can become very expensive. I think I have spent more than €7500,- on bodywork on my coupe, and more than €10.000,- in the engine rebuild, brakes, gearbox, overdrive, A/C etc. But still I think it is definitely worth it, I have done over 60.000 very enjoyable kilometers in it. :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like