Is your e type ready for spring . What needs to be done

My e type needs to be cleaned and polished . Oil and filter changed and a new hinge for the driver’s door . Already have a new one painted ready to install . Waiting on my new knee replacement to heal enough where I can move around enough to do the work . Oh and have to get my headlight switch to function constantly
Other than that I’m charged up and ready for some miles …

1 Like

My car sat for many years before I bought it. Once it was running, I found the clutch pedal pick up much higher than I liked but it didn’t slip. On my last drive a few months ago, the clutch slipped when I stepped on it going uphill in 3rd gear.

Once my 911 is back together (waiting for some parts to be powder coated), I plan to drop the engine out the bottom and replace the clutch.

BTW, the reason my 911 is apart is because the clutch wouldn’t release. It never occurred to me that the pressure plate was stuck. I thought the clutch fork had cracked. Well, one thing lead to another and now I’ve spent about $10k tackling the usual “while you’re at it stuff” like transmission rebuild, new fuel lines, new fan housing, powder coating the engine tin, etc.

Once the engine drops out of the bottom of the Jag …

1 Like

See if you can do your best to get a new old stock carbon TO: seems the newer ones are not made so well.

1 Like

Yes.
Usual routine in October : oil and filter change, clean and vacuum the interior, wash and polish the exterior , remove wheels, brush and clean the wheel wells and spray with WD-40, clean the IRS/cage, grease all the required points, clean each wheel and reinstall. Remove and clean the plugs. Install rubber plugs on cylinder head. Battery removed and connected to the Tender-izer. Fill tires to 40psi.
This winter project was to replace the broken boot springs using the Maury Method ( success !).
In May :
Install battery, disconnect coil, crank until oil pressure is built up, reinstall plugs, reconnect coil, start and check. While engine is warming bring tire pressures to 33 psi.
Test drive.

1 Like

Well, my Jaguar engine seems ready: After about 10 weeks, outside and unstarted, a few days ago it got up into the 60s.

I turned the key, let the pump buzz for a few seconds, pulled the (one operative) choke, and it fired up in 5-8 seconds.

C’mon, May!

3 Likes

I’ve still got a few grease points to get to, and a run around with the oil can on hinges and linkages, but otherwise I am ready for the first test drive and a deep clean.

I just need to wait until the last dose of salt and grit is washed off our local roads. Last week the gritters went mad, leaving dollops of salt and grit on some stretches.

Blockquote" Install rubber plugs on cylinder head " - tell us more - sounds interesting .

In the Fall I remove the spark plugs, clean them ,check the gaps and set them aside till May. During that time I place these rubber plugs in their place for protection and peace of mind.
Don’t recall the correct size, just using this photo I copied reference.

1 Like

What’s the reasoning behind that . Certainly no one can steal your car .

Its not to prevent theft but to prevent anything from falling in the cylinders.

Why leave the plugs out.

1 Like

When I put the car away for the winter I change the oil and filter. I pour new oil in a cold engine and never restart it till May. At the same time I remove the plugs to clean them and check the gaps.
Since I already have the plugs out I figured I wait till May to reinstall them after I crank the engine to build up oil pressure before actually starting it.
The oil galleries drained for 6 months and the new filter is empty so I fill and pressurize the system without the compression load and save a little wear and tear.

That’s cool :sunglasses:. You are one step ahead of the game

I’m a horrible person. I took mine apart far too long ago to have the speedo repaired. Then I figured maybe get the bouncy tach repaired- so sent them off. Then decided that the vinyl was in bad shape, so I’d re-cover the dashboard panels, so took those out. The alternator was about to fail, so I decided to not only get a new one, but upgrade- and change from the AC mount to a regular alternator mount. Of course, the slippery slope kicks in and then a new water pump is ordered… then none of the pulleys line up to swap to the side mount alternator… not even close. The pulleys on my car don’t even look like anything I’ve ever seen except for ONE other 4.2 from an XJ6. Order new pulleys at great expense and they stil don’t line up… so ordered a used AC version alternator mount to just put it back how it was after helping someone else out who wanted my bracket since he had AC and I didn’t.
Now I have to fix ALL that because of the “well, while I’m at it…” problem. Then add that it’s still cold in Vermont and my budget keeps getting blown by bad ideas. It’ll get there, just annoyed with myself for taking apart too many things at once.

1 Like

I wondered if the plugs were similar to dust caps that would keep dust / sand / grit etc out of the spark plug recess . Im always careful when removing plugs that any small particles dont fall down the hole into the cylinder . I`m surprised nobody has come up with a solution to this , or maybe they have ?

It will be ready for Spring - Just not sure of the year!

I did: ALWAYS use a hi-pressure blow gun to blow out the dirt/rocks/small animals/leftover manifold burrito from the plugs recesses before removing the plugs.

2 Likes

Loosen the spark plug, then blow out the area with air.
Tom

1 Like