It happened again rebuildt motor SURE and E Bay

Do not believe the motor has been rebuildt even if the guy is 65 has a lift, shop and great home…Sure its rebuildt…not so Would not start and no compression on a couple of cylinders…Sure it is rebuildt…this is a tr6 listed on craigslist…I did due diligence and tried to start then compression check prior to purchase…I did not buy it

Then later on E Bay…but I did not get involved as I know e bay is not an auction…
Be aware when putting a max bid on something listed with E Bay…if your max bid is above the reserve price E Bay will take you there and you Just bought it…even tho no other bidder “pushed you up there”

See…1957 MGA in Tucson…several bidders…the 2nd went to 7k…but the MGA sold for $8500 nothing between 7k and 8.5k…that is because bidder 156 put in a max bid above the reserve so E Bay will peg him to the reserve and thus become the high bidder…in this case bidder 156 backed out so just another shill

I guess you’re referring to this one?

Seller says the engine was rebuilt 41 years so I would think any prudent buyer would have low expectations in that regard.

Don’t know about the retraction - some eBay shoppers will post a high bid and then retract it just to see what the reserve is on an item. Unethical, but not necessarily shills.

1 Like

Geo,
I was not very clear…these are 2 seperate instances…one on craigs list where the claim that the engine was rebuldt…did due diligence prior to purchase…tried to start then compression…no go no buy

The MGA…I did not get involved with per say…as E Bay is not an auction…and I know this…so am very reluctant to get involved…just reporting what did happen to buyer 159…

As far as I can see, the eBay rule you describe makes perfect sense. If you specify a maximum amount you are prepared to pay, you’re indicating that you want to buy the item, and you want to pay as little as possible, and no more than your specified maximum. There are no prizes for having the highest bid if you are still below the reserve. If you bid more than the reserve, and your bid is currently the highest, eBay registers your bid at the reserve level - i.e. the lowest level that will secure you the item at that time. Seems reasonable to me. Am I missing something?

That said, I can’t see myself ever buying a classic car on eBay again. It seems that so many of the auctions are suspect. While looking for something else today, I stumbled on a very nice looking 1966 Beige FHC. The only problem, is that the same seller auctioned a RED 1966 FHC last month with the same Car/Chassis Number! Oh, and the car had a Colorado front plate, California rear plate and was supposedly in Phoenix, AZ. Lots of green grass in the background of the photos. Must be a different part of Phoenix to the ones I know… There may be a totally innocent explanation, but these days it seems you have to assume the worst, and hope to be pleasantly surprised…

-David

David,
I really appreciate your reply. I see so many inconsistency’s…I am just really trying to say HAY…something is wrong here.
Thanks for an insightful contribution…
Mitch

ps. outside of “beer money” I will NEVER buy another serious resto…maybe this is what is bothering me…I simply see a cesspool…it is a hobby, I do it for fun

1 Like