Jacking an SSI or SSII

Just looking through some old patents and came across this addition. Are the SSI ans SSII fitted with this as standard?

GB408393

Could be an item for gaining or losing concours points. :wink:

Peter

Such a thing would be a good idea on my '38 SS chassis side frames, as there is a bundle of wires and the fuel pipe running along the bottom of the left hand frame, and the first time I put it up on jack stands I nearly crushed the fuel pipe.

1 Like

Hi Rob,

The normal route for the wiring loom in the SS Jaguars is along the under side of the chassis side rail but it does strike me as rather vulnerable, only protected by the flange to one side.

Peter

Greetings All,

SS’s had an optional jacking system that was built in to the car.

Why lose points?:wink:

I hadn’t realised that. I thought it was an emergency braking system.

Peter :open_mouth:

I used to think the system was hydraulic, still not sure, but I believe it was a series of shafts and gears which is why they had an area for the handle to plug in.

I’m not aware of any non-hydraulic systems and DWS system pictured above was certainly hydraulic.

Peter

DWS is Donald W. Sessions.
http://www.classic-british-car-jacks.uk/Miscellaneous%20Jacks.htm
They claim a DWS hydraulic jack was supplied with C-Type, D-Type and XKSS.
The series of shafts and gears may have been with the Stevenson jacking system.

They had a jack that was permanently attached and swings down for use.
Stevenson%20Triumph%20Super%209_4
Somewhere on that web site is a jack that attached vertically to the running board.
With quite a few of these little screw jacks like Shelley, King Dick and Woden, you can see where the spring saddle in Peter’s original posting would have been a good idea.

Greetings All,

Nope, the SSI/II books reference DWS in their option list.

Rob,

The JENKS BROTHERS (later Jenbro, later again Britool) advertisement for the STEVENSON JACKING SYSTEM shows the simple mechanical STEVENSON Jack as introduced with 1936 SS-Jaguar, later taken over by SMITHS (Accessories) and then branded SMITHS STEVENSON as still used post-war on Mark IV and V saloons, and XK120, XK140 subject to ongoing update/refinement of design.

Note the lettering on the cast foot - these STEVENSON then SMITHS STEVENSON Jacks can be dated reasonably well…

Here is the one I was thinking of.

The original question re SS1 and SS2 Jacks.
My research is at this stage fairly inconclusive, but these were a proprietary Screw-Type Jack sourced by Standard Motor Co, and included in their Chassis Supply to SS Cars Ltd - there were a couple different variants of Jack to suit different SS1 and SS2 chassis 1932 - 1935, and although I have all their unique Part Numbers, I haven’t fully identified all. SS Cars arranged for their stowage of course within their body structure.

32083%20or%2036195%20-%201932%20or%201933

The DWS Hydraulic Jacking System was an optional extra, according to my information, for 1934 and 1935MY cars only, and was part of the chassis-supply from Standard Cars who also offered this same system on their own Standard cars.

If anyone has any photos/details of SS1 and/or SS2 mechanical screw Jacks I would love to see.

Roger

Here is the one we all know and love. John Ferguson Stevenson’s patent 467563 of Nov 1935. Too late to apply to SS1 and SS2 though.

Greetings All,

The DWS option had to be ordered, not added on at a dealer. Standard installed it at time of build as there were some other mods needed at time of frame build.

Did the DWS jacks fold up parallel to the ground?
I wonder if they might be covered or licensed under this 1930 Stevenson GB patent 348637 for a 4-point hydraulic system.

This makes it look like Stevenson was the designer and possibly builder of the system, and DW Sessions was the sales and possibly installer of the system.

Here’s an interesting one from 1939, GB patent 528933. Smith’s Jacking Systems and DW Sessions, now an employee of or partner with Smith’s, are introducing the swaged construction of the upper end of the telescoping screw jack. They claim it is cheaper than the existing threaded or grub screw construction.

I love the drawing. I’ve always been curious to know what was inside one.

The Jacking poiints on the rear of an SS1 were rectagular pieces with the 4 side slightly turned down and placed on the chassis ,not the srings. An optional hydraulic jacking systen as shown in the pic of the Airlien was available , and SS1 front axle beams came with the holes for mounting it. There was a screw jack for th front and rear. However the owners handbook is notoriously inaccurate have some of the pics being taken of Standards [ “near enough” , W Lyons] But looking at the tool kit ilustrations one sees 2 jacks and jack handles , onein the trunk and one on the firewall.
All to be taken with a grain of salt.
The interesting apsect s that to use the crank handle, the driver had to remove the front apron and swing it between the dumb irons. Which is why it had the 4 decorative screws, they acted as wing nuts.

DWS Jacks are outside my specific interest area, however if anyone wants to pursue, can I suggest a good starting point may be…

https://www.fiennes.co.uk/Parts/Catalogue/A/AA/DWS-Hydraulic-Jacks

And if you want a 1950s Handle, when part of the SMITHS Accessories organisation…

Try eBay-UK item number:

You need to be a little careful with PATENT dates, although this one Accepted Nov 1940 may have been an inopportune time to get a new design into production, but from a Jaguar perspective SMITHS STEVENSON Jacks as supplied to Mark IV, Mark V, XK120, XK140 and early XK150 did not get this new patented 528933 Improvement until 1949 (according to my research), with the revised C.2953 Jack introduced for the XK120, and also later Mark Vs replacing the earlier C.2654 Mark V Jack with its earlier pinned arrangement. So we are really off-topic now! But a good picture of the Patent 528933 arrangement, and a good colour match for those repainting their XK120/140 Jacks with a more orange-red than the earlier blacker-red.

OK, better show the earlier arrangement as applicable to SS-Jaguar and Mark IV and early Mark V Jacks…

This one is 1948 (Mark IV) original paint, for those into colour matching, but unfortunately I don’t have a good original colour match for SS-Jaguar era.

Here’s the system as applied to MG and Wolseley cars. The jacks were rigidly clamped to the axles.

Peter