Jag MK2 3.8 Automatic wiring nightmare continues *Help!*

Hello All, after spending several weeks messing on with the wiring and various wiring diagrams and pictures later I am still struggling, the problem lies with the ignition switch, push starter and headlight switch, I have put the wiring as it states in wiring diagrams and car wont start, no power at all, give each circuit it own power via power probe and they spring to life, originally the 3 position headlight switch was wired no.2 red/black and 2 reds, no.4 red wire, no.1 brown/white wire, no.8 blue wire, with a resis

tor across terminal 2 and 11, the ignition switch has 4 male spade connectors on it and on the unswitched side it had a thick white on 1st connection, then on the switched side a white wire that links to starter push, then on the last connector on the switched side it had a brown/white link wire that connects to the ammeter, also connected to this via a piggyback female spade connector on the ignition switch was a link wire that connects to terminal 1 on the headlight switch, also the ammeter wires according to wiring diagram the thick brown/white was connected to the right hand side top terminal and the thick brown to the left hand side which contradicts all wiring diagrams I have for the car, also regarding starter push the other wire connected on that is a white/red wire which actually seems to be correct, I have attached some pictures for you, any help and advice will be greatly received!!

Hi Paul,

I can’t help you with your wiring as such, but have you checked the wiring to the automatic gearbox?
There are two wires that join together via an inhibitor?? switch, so that the ignition/starter circuit is only powered when in neutral. It could be that the wires have become detached, or the switch is not working.
Just wiring them together should work to check this.

Regards,
Paul

I had the same trouble when I changed from Auto to manual , box , I ran a wire from the starter button to the starter Solenoid , been like that for close to 40 years , may get around to sorting it one day , :smiley:

Hello Paul it turns out this wasn’t even wired up to start with! But thanks for the advice.

Hello thanks for the reply yes I may end up going down that route if I can’t figure it out!