Jaguar e type brake upgrade

Agree to disagree.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/InboardBrakeUpgrade.html

Frank, series 1 and series 3 .
BTW in the context of this thread, series 3 refers to E type not series 3 XJ, is this the case?

1 Like

Peter, I fund one Tie Rod LH by Sng.Barratt and the orther one with Martin Robey RH, can still buy them for reasonable prices 100 euro or so for one.
I do have two Tie Rods(New) of a Series 3 Jaguar E type, not of a XJ6, but maybe they are still on the uprights I have downstairs in the box.
Thanks for the photo.
Frank.

Frank, How did your brake upgrade project turn out? Do you have photos or advice to share?
Thanks,
-Albert

Albert, I am working on the IRS, now. The shocks I had was for the Series 3 and to long for the Series 1, so I need small shocks, the shocks of the XJ are fitting, but the are GAZ filled and not oil.
For the upgrade on the front, I did buy the Uprights of the Series 2 having the brakes of the XJ6 and it can be done, but don not know if the Steering arms of the Series 3 are fitting which some modification.
Frank.

1 Like

Thank you Frank for the detailed reply. The photo definitely helps to illustrate the issue with the different shock sizes.

-Albert

Albert, yes I had four nice shocks, but they are to long, they were for a Series 3 and S type Jaguar, now I searching for other shocks.
The front however is an other matter, having the uprights of series 2 to use my XJ brakes, but don’t have the right steering arms, jet.
I do have the Series 3 steering arms, but they complete different, so I need the series 2 steering arms, if anyone has them?
Frank.

1 Like

Albert, having finished the IRS, beside the copper or copper-nickel lines I have to invest.
Now I am breaking my head about the 4 pots to fit the series 2 uprights, there is a small difference near the hole’s, but minor, maybe bushes I have to make.
Still worrying about the fitment of the big disc’s.
Frank.

1 Like

Frank are you using series 1 or series 2 uprights ? If series 1 you cannot fit the series 2 callipers……… you can fit Volvo 240 or 760 as the have the correct spacing 240 are standard discs and 740 are the ventilated discs ….in both cases you need to reduce the diameter of the disk by 6mm to clear the calliper edge and change the 2 separate pipe entry to a 2 into 1 fitting …… look up on internet…… while it sounds a bit complicated …. It is straight forward and has been done many times ….I have the standard rotor version on my green car and it does transform the feel and braking of the car….oops nearly forgot you also need to bore the fitting ears to 1/2 inch from 12 mm

1 Like

O dear, reducing the disk by 6mm to clear the caliper edge, that’s not fine.
I will use the series 2 uprights and trying to fit the big brake caliper from the other series 2, XJ.
It’s easy to fit the volvo calipers and bore the fitting ears to a half inch.
Cannot find the upgrade on Youtube, so maybe they didn’t do this kind of work.
It that right?
Frank.

Frank this is a well documented and well tested conversion…. Everyone has to make their own decisions on these things , but believe me I don’t stuff around with safety…. Just to be clear the amount of pad connected on the disc does not change by reduction of the diameter…. If I could buy the correct diameter rotors off the shelf I would have.
The other thing you could look at coopercraft or other aftermarket makers
Best of luck

Indeed: if the entire pad’s surface is in contact with the rotor, 6 mm less in diameter wont make a hill of beans difference.

If using S2 uprights, the easiest solution is to use S3 calipers. The pistons are a 10% uprate which is noticeable, but not enough to upset balance. You can remove the spacers and run regular solid disks, or leave them and use vented disks. Vented disks would require a change in wheel offset.

Hay Danny, yes I need other disks, because the one’s from the XJ does not fit at all.
Yesterday, I had to try if my setup was correct, the brakes wasn’t bad, but the disc was not good at all. The fault was the disc was adding material on the back, extra, so was hitting the upright with 13mm.
So now I am searching for other discs from the 740 volvo and have it machined to 6mm less to fit.
Frank.

1 Like

Hi Paul, I will try to make it fit. Using series 2 uprights and vented discs, so I understand
that I have to buy the volvo one’s, 760 or so, but can I use my 4 pots XJ’s brake calipers?
Or not at all?
I wonder what your opinion is on the matter.
Frank.

1 Like

Hold on Frank…… the conversion I was talking about is for series 1 only …so ask yourself the following questions

Do I want to use series 1 or series 2 uprights?
If series 1 you can do the Volvo conversion
If series 2 you can use the series 2 callipers
Are you going to race this car?..… if no then the vented discs are not required for good normal braking
So standard discs should be fine …… , but it is only on the Volvo conversion that you should need to trim the disc …… if using series 2 then you should just use the series 2 parts.

Also see Mike’s notereusing series 3 callipers

2 Likes

Hi Danny, yes I will use the series 2 uprights, but it would be nice to use the big brakes of the XJ6 series 2, that I have saved a long time for this moment.
I have fun to change/upgrade the car where I can, changed the cams and the gearbox is from a later model, the best of Jaguar. Rear axle is a 3.07.
The hole system of braking is changed to the series 2 with an option of the XJ6 system.
The only thing is the find the RIGHT discs to fit this all.
The XJ6 doesn’t fit the uprights of the series 1 and 2, they changed the fitting of the shaft, it’s 15mm to wide.
So only searching for the right discs.
Frank.
P.S. It’s the same system as “ZEUS” and “wILLWOOD”.

That’s my S2 with xjs callipers and front discs. Machining one off stubb axles was required along with calliper spacers to centralise the calliper on the disc.
The shaft was machined from a length of something expensive and it only made financial sense to have 6 sets made.

2 Likes

It is always a pleasure to see your handiwork, Pat!

Hi Pat, yes, there I have it, a big brake caliper from the XJ series and even a XJ vented disc. Well I tried to manage these things together, but the shaft is to short.
So you machined the shaft to other dimensions and then it will fit, Aha.
Can you sent a picture from the 6 sets your having?
I was searching only for another disc to fit the rest.
Frank.

1 Like