Jaguar E-type S1.5 2+2 what part is this?

I have slowly been putting together my E-type for a number of years now, in between other projects. It’s probably age-related, but I cannot for the life of me recall where a few similar parts come from. They look like interior trim pieces. Covers of some sort. See pic. 4 pieces. They also look a bit tatty and need refurbishing or replacement, but first I need to know where they go! Cheers.

Side of the seat mechanism?

1 Like

Yes, part of seats. On the side

Duh! Of course. Like a lot of things on this car, they were already removed when I started. Similar to the console for the radio and ashtray, there are metal sheet pieces covered in black vinyl. The black vinyl tends to go quite brittle. Has anyone recovered these themselves? I thought about using stretch vinyl, heat gun etc. I may see if there are replacements first. Thanks again.

Those parts are the Seat Hinge Covers. The right side is BD36814 and the left side is BD36815. I purchased a set from Welsh Enterprises in Ohio, USA recently to replace the cracked ones on the driver seat in my 1969 E-Type FHC. I suspect that other suppliers world wide might have them. The sharp edges on one of the cracked covers were catching on my pants when exiting the car. I haven’t installed the new ones yet, but should get to it shortly when I get back to working on the interior. I purchased one for each side since the ones on the drivers seat were both cracked. It looked like the ones on the passenger seat were OK but I will check more closely when I remove the seats.

Paul

The original ratchet covers are metal like the ones in the picture. The were covered in some kind of plastic, similar to thick powder coat. They had the habit of catching your pocket when you get out of the car. I understand the new ones from the usuals are plastic and not very robust.

The S1.5 came with the covers without the tab, such as the one in the lower RH corner of the picture. The factory added the tab, with a screw to the seat back when they changed the release lever from the painted one to the chrome one. I suspect it was to make a bit stronger attachment and maybe get a better grip on your pocket to rip it better. The other difference is the screw locations for securing them to the ratchets/bracket. You can notice this by comparing the two in the picture. They still only used two screws although there are three holes.

I never found a satisfactory solution to the pocket grabbing.

Thanks for the info. The thick powder coat on mine is coming away in some parts. Thanks for the warning in regard to catching your pants - as if it wasn’t fun enough sliding into the seat over the sill!