Jaguar sidelights

Hello, still working on my wiring on the car as it was all messed with? My question is should sidelights go out once headlights have been put on or is there a fault, regards Paul

Not sure what you mean by sidelights. In ~1964 the USA regulations required that “parking” lights remain on with headlights, rather than turn off as they had before that date. Side marker lights were mandated later (68-9 IIRC) and were also required to stay on with headlights. I’ve no knowledge of ROW (or of your location). IMHO.

Side lights stay on with headlights

That stirs a memory. When I got my 1950 Mark V in 1969, I noticed the parking lights stayed on when I turned on the head lights. My high school auto mechanics teacher noticed this too when I brought the car to school for us students to study. At that time it was the only car around that did that. He said the way the law in Illinois was worded was something like, “Parking or marker lights must not remain on after dusk when driving.” or something like that. I think it was in the state driving instruction book. The lawmakers intended simply that you should turn on your headlights after dark, and not drive around with just parking lights on. The way it was interpreted by US auto makers was that the parking lights should turn off when the headlights are turned on. The teacher thought it was funny that my car was in violation.

In the UK they are side lights , not parking lights , the red Tell tale is there so you can see if they are on , when your driving !

There was a law that you had to have a parking light , red to the rear , white to the front , you hanged them on the window , off side !

s-l500RQ5KL0PQ

Was that law in England as well? I thought it was only in France.
Here is the Marchal side parking light on my French delivered XK120.

I’ve seen this light on other British and French cars, but always LHDs delivered originally to France.

I did think that would be the case but they’re not like that on mine! Thanks.

Thanks for the information

Thanks for the information.