Jaguar XJ12 1987 Canadian vacuum lines

Hi Jaglovers
About my Canada XJ12 (with the big bumbers)…
I had a bigger thing on my XJ12 changing the headgasket’s.
While I renewed the injector harness I now have some
trouble with the vacuum lines.
I got a Workshop book here from Switzerland (where I am) but
the lines and sensors are totally different.
Does someone of you has a picture or pictures which explains
the vacuum system for the Canadian XJ12?

Thank you and best regards,
Gregor

Gregor:

Can’t help directly. But, I do have a couple of ideas.

1. Canadian and USA cars are similar. Known as NA (North American). Your manual is probably one for cars to be delivered in the UK or Europe, and probably other markets. Emision control being the difference.

I’m sure your manual covers the basic vacuum needs:

1. Got in trouble with IE mid post. But J-;L kept my
    start!!!

2. Base vacuum needs. Some from ports and others, manifold.

3. A. Power brake booster.
    B. Heater on/off valve.
    C. Cruise control bellows.
    D. Distributor for vacuum advance. Possibly
    vacuum retard.
    E. Fuel pressure regulator.
    F. Char coal; cannister purge.

Jus think needed function and how.

Carl

Keep us posted. Archival completion, instruction, and general interest.

Carl

Gregor, this is the vacuum routing for my 87 XJ12 which may help you.
Cheers
Vizza

Vizza presented the appropriate ‘Canadian’ diagram, Gregor - which is entirely different from the ‘European’ set-up, which likely apply to the Switzerland, and shown in your workshop manual…

Since your physical layout differs from the diagrams you have; the Vizza diagram is probably the one fitted to the car - though registration in Switzerland may have required changes. The two ‘systems’ work equally well, sort of, but mixing the two will not work for the V12 HE engines. The two are extensively covered in the Jaguar’s workshop manual - showing also the shape of the various components for identification…

Start with identifying the various components - their actual locations are not important, and may vary with model year, the correct vacuum connection are what counts. Actually; the dist vacuum control is the important bit for the V12 HE - it’s temperamental without it…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

The sticker on my Canadian XJ
Aristised

Hi @ All
thx for your awnsers.
@Vizza & @Aristides, thank you for the routeing diagram.
I’ll make a try next week an my Jag.
I noticed a lot and made some pictures but
mostly of the vacuum lines where not there.
So I hope I’ll do it (keep your fingers crossed)

Best regards, Gregor

Hi Jaglovers
What I also found and it could be helpful…
http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/ACemissioncomponents.html

In combination with the posted diagrams it should be propably
fine.
I’ll inform you next week,
Best regards,
Gregor

The missing lines are easily replaced, Gregor - but have you verified that all the components are accounted for…?

The pictures may help to identify the components you do have - some are more important than others. Look specifically at the throttle body, the US should have three vacuum spigots - and there respective connections are not immaterial…:slight_smile:

All that said; it’s not entirely given that Canadian and US specs are identical - it is assumed they are. The V12 HE may run on a simplified set-up, the rather complicated additions are there to ensure that it behaves as a .

My experience is that USA spec XJS V12 is almost identical to Canadian Series III V12. The notable difference being the vacuum canister plumbing. But there’s an awful lot to look at and compare… so there might be other differences that I’ve missed.

Plus…

I think there more to it than just original market. The HE was produced for many years and I’m sure there were some year-to-year variations as well

Plus plus, so far it seem like we’ve been talking only about timing/emissions vacuum hoses. Let me tell ya, there are yet more vacuum hoses for the sub-systems that need to be sorted out of you’ve had the engine apart. Climate control, cruise control, two vacuum reservoirs, transmission modulator…oy vey !

Cheers
DD

You are right on all accounts, Doug - and the fact that he has a Canadian V12 in Switzerland makes for interesting times…:slight_smile:

The Swiss manual will likely show the ‘European’ set-up, but Switzerland is also mentioned in the ign timing specs - which may have some repercussions. The variations in the vacuum set-ups are bewilderingly manifold, but apart from the specifics required for the ignition timing, critical for the V12 HE’s wellbeing, they are much of a muchness, Basically all other vacuum components, when fitted, work the same for all markets and models - it’s a matter of finding the proper source vacuum, and finding suitable routes for the vacuum lines…

In my original post I just emphasised the need to assure that the components required for the system to be used are present and identified. Then follow a relevant diagram - and some common sense in line routing. Apart from the rather specific vacuum connections relating to the V12 ignition controls - the rest is plain sailing, there are more ways than one to skin this cat…

Frank
**…

Yes indeed it’s a interesting story about my XJ12.
The first owner bought the car in Canada in 1987.
She moved 1994 to germany and took the Jaguar with
her.
Then, in 1996 they moved th Switzerland, cause she
is Swiss and her husband Canadian, and took the
car with them.
In 2006 the car landed on a junkyard where I bought
it in winter 2013.
So i propably own the only Canadian model in
Switzerland :slight_smile:
This evening or tomorrow (not absolutely sure for
today) I’ll work on the jag hopefully forwarding :slight_smile:

I’ll inform you guys what happen.

Best regards and thank you all for your
great help, Gregor

Yesterday I did it, mostly. Only one thing is still open. On the vacuum regulator, the small hose (“delay”)…
I really can’t find out where to put on (see picture). In the vacuum routing is written it has to be connected to the solenoid vacuum valve, but this valve is connected to the intake manifold and the cruise control.

Also the T connector broke (made from plastic) between the vacuum regulator and the dump valve, so I’m not finished yet, ordered a few from copper now so won’t have this problem again.

As I read the ‘Canadian’ diagram provided by Vizza…

…the vacuum regulator has ‘ported’ vacuum as an input from the throttle housing, and manifold vacuum valve and manifold vacuum from the manifold - the ‘4-ring circus’, The ‘delay’ line on the regulator should then connect, via a ‘T’, to the dump valve and distributor. This provides the dist with the required balanced vacuum inputs - functions of the respective ign timing components are comprehensively (or incomprehensively!) covered in the workshop manual for US and ‘European’ versions …which, however, does not mention the solenoid vacuum valve…so…

Point here is that AC, full throttle vacuum switch, transmission modulator, and indeed the cruise control all use unregulated manifold vacuum. As does the ECU’s vacuum capsule…

A general remark on ‘ported’ vacuum; it’s vacuum taken from the throttle body - but the different spigots here may have different vacuum output. Crudely; the vacuum depends on the air speed past the pick-up orifice inside the throttle body - and that air speed is a combination of butterfly and orifice relative position - and engine rpms. Which of course has direct relevance to ignition timing…

Frank