Jaguar XJ6 Series 1 seat belts

took the interior apart to replace the carpet, underlayment and weld in a new floor pan on the passenger side. didn’t think much about the seat belts upon disassembly. but thought i’d get new ones since the rest of the interior is being renewed. from my searches, i suspect my S1 should have been equipped with non-retractable seat belts. i have retractable 3 point belts. seems they are from a jag, or something Brit anyway. my google searches didn’t turn up what they are from. anyone know what these are from or what would be a suitable replacement?

1871 and perhaps earlier had retractable front belts. Reel behind seat mounted to inner sill with 7/16 UNF bolt. Upper mount on B pillar below light.

The reel limits rearward travel of the seat. This was remedied on S3 cars by fitting the reel inside the bottom of the B pillar. You can do that as well if you want.

Jay,
Search the internet for “Securon seat belts” and you will get all your answers.
I replaced the original seat belts in my 1969 E-Type FHC with a set of three point retractable seat belts from Securon around 2003 that looked similar to the ones in your car. Securon is located in the UK and they sell seat belts for a wide range of British cars that either weren’t originally equipped with seat belts when produced or had inferior seat belts that owners wanted to upgrade.
I have seen some USA based suppliers that carry the Securon products now.

Paul

I just removed my belts on my series 1 xj6 to replace the carpet and installed them back last week. Mine appear like yours with the exception I don’t see that writing on it. They are retractable though.

If you’re much over 6 foot tall the inertia reel box may restrict the rearward travel on seat runners too much - just test fit before full install.

these belts were fitted to the car when i got it.
i’m 5’11" and have no issue with seat travel on either side of the front seating
thank you for the relies

Jay,

you don’t write where you’re located, but this is the chart Jaguar holds available in their parts catalogue:

If you’re located in the US, your car was equipped either with Kangol diagonal static type belts (looks like from Le Mans, but terribly unpractical) or Britax diagonal automatic belts. These are the same as used in SII cars.

Your belts are obviously generic belts and you can replace them with any type of new generic automatic belt (just be aware of position of reel!) or you might replace with a (possibly) late SIII Jaguar belt.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

The neatest solution which I believe can be retrofit with little change is S3 belts that are inside the B pillar. The hole is already there, and the interior trim should fit.

1 Like