Jaguar Xj6 series 2 Badge meaning

Hello I’ve got a series 2 lwb from 1978 and I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the p1 boot badge stands for and info would be great

Harry,
I have never seen a “p1” boot badge. Can you take a picture of it and attach it to a reply post on Jag-Lovers?

Paul

Ditto. I have a 78 and would love to see that badge too.

David

It could be “PI” instead of “p1” and stand for “Petrol Injection” to indicate the earliest fuel injected XJ6 cars - only US SII cars came fuel injected from 1978 on; ROW saw fuel injection only from SIII on and the respective cars had no specific indication. The parts catalogue for SII cars cites a “Fuel injection motif-BD47265 (not illustrated)”. Maybe it’s that. I’ve seen “Fuel injection” on XJ12 cars.

Good luck

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

My 78 S2 is a US model with FI and has the same ‘Fuel Injection’ badge as the XJ12s did.

David

Hey sorry for not getting back well it is PI but it’s a pair of hif carbs that are on it

Thanks. I am pretty sure that is the badge Triumph used on the 2500 PI (Petrol Injected) version in the early 70s. Not sure why anyone would put it on a carbureted Jaguar and it certainly doesn’t belong there.

David

Well it Is a late 78 car so maybe it was ment to get on of those engines but never did

That’s exactly what it is. Paul

Right so does that make my car quite rare then

Harry

I’m afraid I don’t think so. I think some previous owner has decided to decorate your car with the badge taken off a Triumph 2500 PI because they liked it. As far as I know, Jaguar only used the full badge reading ‘Fuel Injection’ on the S2 XJ12 and the North American market 1978 XJ6L that had fuel injection. Never ‘PI’. On my 1978 XJ6L it is on the rear vertical surface of the boot on the left.

Sorry if that is disappointing but, frankly, any S2 is a special car in my view.

David
1978 XJ6L FI - converted to 5 speed manual gearbox

Well we have the boot badge mounting point mate