Jaguar XJS 3.6 litre manual cabriolet

Following on from my tale of woe posted earlier today - after a few hours I went into the garage and she fired up first time and ran well . The cutting out must surely be something to do with when the engine is hot - could a coolent sensor cause this problem ?

Rgds
Gerald

Coolant sensor problems tend to be running great when cold then running rich then sputtering and misfiring and then stalls.

If it happens agin see if you can pull a plug to see if it is black from over fuelling.

Good Day All,The weather here finally cleared up enough for me to do a few tests . I ran the car until it was at normal operating temp and then took it for a run. After going up and down our street a dozen or so times ( wiyth my neighbours looking on and most probably thinking that I had lost my marbles due to the lockdown !! ) I finally got her to cut out.Armed with my short piece of bridging wire ( thx Kirbert ) I pulled the coolent sensor wire off and bridged the 2 pins and she started and I drove home.
I then replaced the coolent sensor it was a lucas one,so when you tried to undo it,the plastic black top just spun in a circle,sow I really destroyed it taking it off and replaced it with one with a metal nut on it. Car seems to be running a lot smoother now when warm.
I hope that this will solve the problem -,just waiting for my son to get back before taking it for a decent run as he is in charge of having to tow me back if the car still misbehaves !Here’s holding thumbs !!

Thx for all the advice
Gerald

1 Like

It seems as though it was the coolent sensor - after I replaced it,I have taken the car for a couple of runs with no sign of the engine cutting out,although I am still not 100 % confidant about doing a long run .

Thx to everyone who gave me advice

Rgds
Gerald

See, that tells me it was either the coolant temp sensor or the wiring to it. For most of us, when the coolant temp sensor fails the car gradually runs worse and worse as it warms up. In your case, it appears the sensor worked when cold but would then suddenly go open circuit when hot. I suppose you could test the old sensor in a pot of water on the stove to confirm if it’d make you feel better that you’ve really solved the problem.

When my CTS went bad, the problem was obvious: When I pulled the connector off, one of the terminals in the top of the sensor was loose and wiggling around in there.

Hi Kirbert, Thank you once again for you concise summing up of the problem .As mentioned I had to destroy the sensor getting it off,but i did notice that the wires down the centre had some white gunk around it - maybe corrosion ?

As summer is coming down here, i will take her for a long run with my son ready to do towing if necessary…
All the best and stay safe
Gerald

All seems well - thx to everybody who gave me advice - amazing how a coolent sensor problem can cause all the problems that I had.

Rgds
Gerald

1 Like