Jaguar XJS fibreglas body panels

I have a 1989 Jaguar XJS 3.6 automatic which would benefit from a respray.
I would like to fit light weight panels and wonder if there are alternatives available in fibreglas ?

In my wonderings looking for XJ-S bits for my 3 XJ-S’s the only fiberglass “panel” persay that I’ve run across is the one that holds the headliner in place. the OE is a fiberglass press-board that breaks apart if you look at it funny.

Short version - not to my knowledge.
These cars aren’t typically “racers or track cars” XJ-S’s are GT cars. designed to get from point at to be in comfort at speed.

Caveat to race ready XJ-S’s
Jaguar did race the XJ-S’s and did remarkably well, back in the day. However, “racing the XJ-S” was more of a publicity stunt than to show that the XJ-S were race ready track cars.

Oh, and welcome to Jag-Lovers!!

Cheers!
Mark

Thank you Mark,

I was recently looking at the TWR and Lister models and like the look of them.

That is the design I would like to replicate.
Kindest regards,

Phill

I know exactly what your on a bout. I too like the look of those body kits. Unfortunately they have been discounted. I do have the OE part numbers someplace back when I was looking to fit the Lister bits on my XJ-SC. There is somebody on this forum who acquired
a bent Lister, I’m not sure what ever became of it. If he put it back together or if he is or has parted it out.

I have just been researching fibreglass companies in England and I will email them in regard to making moulds .
Unfortunately my boot lid was damaged in the recent high winds and needs replacing.

Do you have shop space and time? There are some very very good youtube videos that show the full process of cloning a body panel for a mold, and then using the resin infusion process to make a strong lightweight body panel. I"ve got to imagine that the labor time is one of the major costs in developing the mold and reproducing the part. Materials cost isn’t insignificant (depending on materials chosen) but…

~Paul K.

It can be done–I fabricated race car bodies, ocassionally forming new moulds from existing body panels–and it quite expensive for the materials, to make a “onesie-twosie” panel(s).

It is also fairly toxic, and the learning curve is steep.

Unfortunately Paul, I am busy at work and do long hours and the limited space I have is for small projects.
I have just finished upgrading my dashboard lights to blue LED’s which makes it so much easier to see the gauges at night…
I have changed my steering wheel to a 13 " Moto Lita which is much better and responsive and makes it a 10 minute job taking the dashboard out.

Kindest regards,

Phill.

1 Like

Thank you Paul,

I think this is a type of job I would get a proffessional mould maker to do.
I don’t have the space to remove panels and make moulds to that standard.
I am interested that if a company did make moulds that would be suitable for road cars they would be light weight alternatives that could have bigger arches for bigger wheels.

Kindest regards,

Phill

1 Like

From your first reply it looks like you want to change your bodywork to be like a TWR/Lister. Those body kits are going to be unobtainium right now. You could try looking for the JaguarSport body kits as they were more widely produced, but either way they are somewhat cosmetic/aerodynamic rather than an attempt to reduce weight. Someone in the UK got hold of the molds from JaguarSport and could still be producing them. I got a new front end from them a few years ago for my XJR-S, they also come up on eBay from time to time.

looks both directions

I assume he acquired the molds and still has them…

~Paul K.

There was some other bodywork special, I think the name started with a G, featured broadened fenders to fit much wider tires. Dunno if there was fiberglass involved. If there was, again it wouldn’t have been for weight reduction but rather to make a unique look.

Using that mould, the part will be a difficult pull.

[quote="MLee, post:2, topic:385122, full:true

Caveat to race ready XJ-S’s
Jaguar did race the XJ-S’s and did remarkably well, back in the day. However, “racing the XJ-S” was more of a publicity stunt than to show that the XJ-S were race ready track cars. !

Cheers!
Mark
[/quote]

Coming 1st and 2nd in the 1984 ETCC was obviously a “Great Publicity Stunt” for TWR/JAGUAR

Oh! and I forgot to mention the great win at the Bathurst 1000 in 1984!
just another “Publicity Stunt”?

Spar 24hr another great publicity stunt?

Here you go Phillip, if your looking for the European style TWR body kit, plus other fiberglass parts. https://www.jagsparesinternational.co.uk/. Page 3 and 4, of XJS body panels. Fiberglass fenders, TWR and Lister body kits. Plus a few other fiberglass body parts. Made to order. 2 years ago when I was hunting for a TWR kit I found the prices were reasonable. No idea of their prices now. I remember the complete kit, front rear bumper covers, side skirts, rear spoiler, plus shipping to my door was approx $1,000.00 Cdn.
I found them extremely easy and helpful to deal with. They actually gave me two customers #'s that had bought the kits. They were happy enough with the quality. One rarity was that they were actually willing to ship to Canada and at a fair / reasonable cost. They actually hunted down the best price for me. I ended up buying a used TWR kit that came with all the pieces that you don’t think of. ( the proper u channel for the bumper covers, proper gaskets for the spoiler, a few other odds and ends. I knew the kit would then fit perfectly.
My biggest problem was, is, that I know of companies, In GB who usually have the parts needed but they won’t ship ( large parts ) to N. America.
Hope this was of help.

1 Like