Jaguar XK120 OTS Come home to Roost!

Hello,
I am very excited to share some news here on the Forum. After almost 20 years, I have had the good fortune to buy my 1951 XK120 back from the person I sold it to!
It is the RHD car I purchased in Melbourne, Australia #660792. We took the car and completed part of the restoration in Germany, before bringing it with us to Michigan, USA.
As you can well imagine, we are super excited here at home…!!!
Karl Robertson

7 Likes

I assume you bought from the Jim Taylor auction?
All you need to do now is bring it back to Australia!

2 Likes

Thanks Terry! Yes, I did buy it back from Jim Taylor. As far as the second part of your question, I’m working on it…!!!

1 Like

Congratulations Karl! What’s the origin of the vented wheels?

What a cool car. And an esrly one with chromes sidelight mountings on the wings!

Hello Mike,
They were made by Ajax Wheels in Melbourne, Australia who only made 50 wheels (5 sets). Cheers!

Karl Robertson

great looking car…!! Hooray !! yes cool wheels…like it better without the bonnet strap.
Nick

Naw, I dig the strap!

It’s totally in character with the car, and as often as those bonnets would fly up? Absolutely necessary!

The Silverstone did away with that problem by making the bonnet just a hatch on top: it never blew up.

I think it odd to have to leather strap body parts onto an assembled car to keep them from flying off…maybe strap the doors on, some safety wire on the headlight rims. (I will say I could have used some safety wire on my rear shock links !! they DO fly off.
Nick

Rear shock link tapped 1/4-20 UNC with screw and fender washer.

link
The only part I have ever lost off mine was a chrome headlamp pod spear.

Is this 660047, or maybe 660111?

Karl Congrats! Let me know when you are driving this to Cars and Coffee, and I’ll drive mine. The weather isn’t being so cooperative here in Michigan, but we are tough guys! The attached photo is of # 673816 when Lori and I drove our XK120 and S1 Etype for display at the Troy Jaguar dealer opening of their new showroom last January. It was 15 degrees F that day, so you can’t freeze me out.Dave

2 Likes

Thanks Dave!
You’re lucky, you have a windscreen, I don’t!!
But I’ll let you know when I can bring it. Cheers!

Karl

Excellent, sir! Good to see an XK being used, as directed…:wink:

I love that colour, what is it called?

Lavender gray. We are the second owners since 1986 and it had mostly original paint, so the color match is exact. It’s a 1953 so after the move of factories and the switch to enamel paint.

1 Like

Yours 673816,: My car, 673776…March 19 of 1953 so not far off your production, was biscuit interior with red trim, fawn soft top., but the original color long gone in repaints. I really like how yours looks…!!
Nick

Hello guys!
I guess we are into Subject Creep again! So, I will stop here!!
My only motive was to make some of you XK owners aware that I had been fortunate to buy my XK120 back again after 20 years. That’s all! I must admit that I was so excited, I got carried away!! Thanks for your participation and moral support.
Karl Robertson

1 Like

Karl, I hope your Fall weather stays nice enough for some good drives before the snow flies. Our Fall weather in Iowa has been mostly beautiful. On Saturday, I drove top-down to a dinner gathering of vintage automobile enthusiasts and returned well after dark. I have the same Lucas “flame thrower” driving lamps that appear to be on your car. They are excellent supplements to the original tri-bar headlamps (which are pretty anemic by modern standards).

My car turns 69 years old in a few weeks. I doubt the factory workers, all those years ago, would have ever imagined that so many of their creations would still be road worthy in 2022.

1 Like