Late 120 folks does you diff US Pat 2018188

1953 onward XK120 folks…when you can…please have a look at your differential…from the back…looking …I am soooo curious if any car has this: cast raised US PAT 2018188, on the leftside lower flange next to pumpkin case (easy to see), and above that, on the upper flange, (harder to see) facing rear is US PAT 1968618., and…a small cast raised circle with letter “A: within followed by cast raised “44” on lower right rear face. Interested if…an original factory install , maybe Leys ran out of diff for a while and obtained some from Dana, USA, or a replacement part via Jaguar spares thru Dana…or ? I will have a closer look at axle tubes to see if any mods in the assembly if it is a Dana 44 from ??
modified to fit as a replacement. (it is on a USA Hornburg car)…Thanks…Nick

Interesting.

I want to see this explained somehow.

Hi Nick:

My July, 1953 build XK120 does not have the same letter/numbers in the location you show in your photo.

Chris.

and…perhaps the next question is does this appear on later cars…XK140-150? They share the same track width and basic axle diff assy. I find no sign of any axle mods that may have indicated it came from some other car, which may have a different track width…The Dana 44 was on a lot of cars…maybe only the pumpkin was swapped? It is a 3.54, standard for the Mid 53 XK. Nick

If we look up patent numbers 1968618 and 2018188, the second granted in 1935 is an improvement or supplement to the first granted in 1934, both under the names of Joseph E. Padgett and Robert P. Lewis, both of Toledo Ohio. These patents are under their own names, not assigned to any corporation. They depict what we can recognize as an early version of our Salisbury axle.

We have to presume that they sold their patent to Dana Corp, which had owned Salisbury since 1919.
Searching Joseph E Padgett, he had patents for a gearshift mechanism assigned to Spicer, a shock absorber that looks like our Newtons, and a universal joint different from our Spicers and also not assigned.
Robert P Lewis also had a patent for an automatic clutch.

Nick, you might look for marks on your bolt heads.
My cover bolts are marked NEWALL HT, the crown wheel bolts are marked NEWALLOY, and the main bearing bolts are marked NEWALL HI TENSILE.
On the underside of the nose is stamped C53 and 559.

BTW the Salisbury 2HA seems to be equivalent to the Dana 41, used in 46-50 Jeep CJ2&3s and 48-56 Ford F100s so there is still some parts support.