Late 93 demist vents different

When I bought our late 93 XJ6 I knew the demist vents weren’t operating.
After an estimate of 10hrs at 100+GST per hour plus parts I decided to fix myself and with some great help from this forum and the internet the vents are fixed and dash is mostly back in.

I learned that the late 93 vents are different to early 93 as the dash has a dip in the middle presumably due to the 2 sensors as the early 93 so one I took the replacement vents out only had 1 sensor.

The flaps are different as well as they have smaller diameter spindles on the late ones with a bush, although if you take the bush out the early flaps fit.
So flaps swapped with some silicone grease on the spindles and tested with a vac pump the dash is back in.

Parts cost from the wrecker $50 including a center vent and blend flap motor that I thought may come in handy at some point.
I noticed that the earlier dash is held in differently to the later one as well. Interesting to see all the changes.

I did find a new old stock left hand vent on ebay so I bought it as a spare.

1 Like

Good for you !

Sometimes it’s not about saving money but rather the joy and satisfaction you get from doing something
a bit complicated and having it turn out well. And the added benefit is that you are now intimately acquainted with how the things work and you can pass that knowledge on to others.

I agree and normally try to do as much as I can myself, but due to work being very busy and a few other things I was prepared to get this job done by a garage.
I’m pleased I didn’t as it’s been fun.