Late XK120 FHC questions

What is the typical diameter of a pop rivet? The screws are not particularly large.

Assume would be 1/8” or 5/32”

Jordy’s IPhone

All the pop rivets I have found on my Jaguars have been 1/8" diameter.

looks like the screws in mine are also 1/8" in diameter. Would the hole need to initially be smaller than 1/8" to accommodate the threads for a 1/8" screw? In other words, if a hole was already large enough to accommodate a 1/8" rivet, would it be too large to tap to accommodate a 1/8" screw?

If I see your picture right, you seem to be measuring to the root of the threads. Screw sizes are normally specified at the outside diameter of the threads.
You have sheet metal screws there, aka self-tapping. To use those screws, the holes in the body inner fender would have been drilled to the root diameter, i.e. smaller than the screw size.
If the holes in your fender are already 1/8", it would suggest that the intention was pop rivets.
Bear in mind that pop rivets fall apart and corrode into nothingness in a salty environment.
That is what I found with mine, 1/8" holes for the ratchet clips, and smaller holes for the jack, tire pump, wheel brace and Tee key clips.
The 120 is a many-faceted beast, no two alike. As always, if you find something contrary to this, we’d love to hear about it.

So I guess a plausible theory is that the rivets that were originally there deteriorated and were replaced with sheet metal screws?

Sure, it’s a plausible theory. Not everybody had a pop rivet tool in the old days.
You could measure all the holes in your fender with drill bits if you can’t get that caliper in there.

Car is in the body shop, but I’ll put it on my list of things to run down.

I wonder if someone could measure the diameter of an original jack foot? I have an aftermarket one in my 120 and I had to pack a 1/4" (approx) piece of rubber behing the base of the Terry clip to grip the body of the jack correctly. I’m suspecting that the aftermarket foot might be a tad larger in diameter…

I have two.
One which says Smiths Stevenson Jacking Systems is 2-15/32" = 62.7mm
The other which says Stevenson Jacking Systems World Patents is 2-18/32" = 65.1mm

Chris, I measure 62.7 MM for the late XK120 jack foot. Do you have the correct shaped Terry’s clip that was used to secure the jack?

Thanks, Mike. I’ll measure mine tomorrow. I got the clip as part of a set supplied by Coventry Auto. I’ll have a look at that, too.

Thanks, Rob. I hadn’t realised there might be more than one size. Presumably, the one with the wider foot might not quite fit into the Terry’s clip fully…