Late XK120 OTS front wing variants?

No matter the pod width or color, still one of the sexiest car snoots, ever!

I even think it’s sexier than an E Type…:flushed:

Of possible interest to this discussion, I note that on Mark V, which has similar headlamp and sidelamp pods, the factory fitters used two sheet metal screws (aka self-tappers) to set the position of each headlamp and sidelamp pod before spot welding around them.
The sidelamp pod screws are fore and aft, but the headlamp pod screws are side and side. There is a little bit of flexibility in these pods. Thus the exact width achieved is dependent on the skill of the fitter.
My XK120 has no such screws, so fitment is even more dependent on the skill of the fitter.

2 Likes

The gender is different. Remember this was immediately post war. In his design Sir William wanted to evoke a passion in the prospective purchaser. Hormonal, even. He sought to appeal to moneyed young men though it should be no surprise the car’s shape got female juices flowing too. The XK120 design is evocative of a woman. The elevation drawing is reminiscent of a woman laying on her side back toward you, the front wing her shoulder, sweeping back toward the door shut - her waist, then the upsweep and graceful decline of the rear wing, hip and thigh. The front view is unabashedly female, consistent with the overall design. The rear view is … the rear view. The E-type design’s also sexual, but obviously appealing to subtly different hormones. It’s design is more masculine, maybe a little especially the OTS. I’ve had my E for 37 years. Not long after I bought it - this would be mid-80s - my boss referred to it as a wheeled phallus. I don’t think he was being unkind. I think it was genuine vehicle envy. :wink:

1 Like