Leaking float bowls

to remove the horse shoe needle valve lifter to completely remove the needle valve - is this a simple “pull off” from the spindle? I couldn’t see a way to remove the spindle so I’m guessing you simply pull off (carefully) the brass shoe?

Pull out or knock out the pin IIRC.

As Lester said, you grip the small brass pivot pin with a set of needle nose pliers, and pull out.

One end might be pinged or swaged.

I though you already did this to clean out the grit? Careful not to bend the lever when you’re pulling and tapping or you’ll have to reset it. If the tips of the needles don’t look very nice, just replace them. The whole valve is probably 10 bucks from Joe Curto. The rubber tip petrifies and won’t seal fully.

I blew through the input port and then tried activating the valve several times until I was convinced that they were clean. This question was a just in case

Well, she started up and no leak!!

What would the symptoms be of something wrong with the float level or needle valves?

I just shot this video and there is a pronounced tick that changes in frequency with engine rpm as seen in the video. Thoughts?

Bill

The main things would be fuel overflowing into the carbs causing very rich running and/or flooding. Also you could see fuel dumping on the ground from the overflow tubes.

The ticking is just the valves/tappets, maybe some clatter from the upper timing chain, something to think about another day.

2 Likes

Be worried only after you have adjusted the tappet clearances and the upper timing chain if the engine is quiet.

Erica and Nickolas

Not sure I understand? The ticking is not mission critical?

The next thing on my list was going to be steering column play and a parking brake that doesn’t work…

[Just researched tappet and valve clearance… I think I’ll leave well enough alone and see how far I can get with the steering column…]

Valve train noise, and nothing to fret about.

What Wiggles said …

When it comes to the E-type parking brake it depends on what you mean by “work”.

I pull up the parking brake and there is no observed braking action…

Check to see if the p-brake pads are worn out.

I cannot be 100% sure, but I hear no chain slap in the video.

Nor do I. I hear one loose tappet.

They are, after all, a full square inch in surface area.

1 Like

Hehehehe!!!

One way the later Rover brakes are better (early Rovers used the same two-square inch setup!): the p-brake can actually function as an e-brake, given the entire rear pad area is the one used as the p-brake.

Properly adjusted they work well. Mine holds on this hill, my driveway.

Oh, they will hold fine: just dont make a habit of handbrake turns…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I believe you mean the Venturi effect. The Venture effect only applies to a…Pipeline.

1 Like

Damn auto correct. :smiley:

1 Like