LED Flasher comparison

Alrighty boys and girls, ladies and gentleman. We have a winner in the clubhouse.

To round out my Flasher comparison and to re-cap. My intent and only goal was to find a three pin flasher that will work with LEDs in the turn signal lamps without any load resistors, extra ground wires or snake oil treatments or re-wiring of my car.

my last test is a flasher from the UK. I got it from AES. Autoelectricsupplies.co.uk

The GOOD NEWS is that it works perfectly with the superbright LEDs in all four corners, now to be honest, I still have incandescents in the dash indicators. the little E10 bulbs or whatever they are.
and I am too lazy to swap them right now to see, but I suspect this flasher still wont care.

the bottom line tho is this flasher is purely electronic, there is NO relay. its all discreet components.
the bad news is its rated at 30 watts… which means I doubt it will live a long life if you put in a couple 1156 or 1157 incandescents since they draw about 28 watts each.

Something to note is that because there is no relay, there is no sound at all when it is operating. that could be good if you hate the click clack of a turn signal, but bad if you are like everyones grandfather and drive 35 miles with your left signal flashing.

So, if you want a drop in flasher that will work with all LEDs. I think you will be happy with this one.

1 Like

How much was its cost?

I also appreciate your separating pictures, instead of them all crammed together… MUCH easier to view.

Excellent. Thanks for your diligence. Is Auto Electric Supplies the manufacturer or just the seller? I’m wondering if there is a place in the US that carries these.

AES is the seller, but I dont see any other markings to indicate a different manufacturer.
it wasnt too expensive, even with shipping overseas it was under 25 bucks, I think it was more like $22. I am digging thru my emails to try and find the exact cost. ( $23.80 total )

by the way, it was also perfectly happy in the hazard flasher spot.

Bob F

1 Like

Thanks Bob. I tried googling the 6 digit number on the flasher in various combinations with the words “turn signals”, “flasher” and “car” and came up empty.

Great work Bob! Thank you for researching this for everyone.

1 Like

Great work Bob, many thanks for that. If you do come over this side of the pond I will gladly treat you with some famous Belgian beers.
Now I can move forward with the bulbs swap plan.
Having bought many times from AES, always found them clear in their descriptions and quite up to the expectations in other respects.
No affiliation or interest whatsoever, just a satisfied customer.

1 Like

Now, I just gotta determine if the Rover has a two-pin, or three-pin flasher.

Given it’s again buried in a snowdrift, it may take me a few days to figure it out…!!!

Thanks Bob! I’ll go ahead and order them as well. Regarding the lack of clicking, I can’t hear mine anyway!:joy:

This looks like it’d (if crudely) solve the no-audible indication…

http://www.turnalarm.com/newtspecb.htm

I already have an audible alarm… and it tells me more than just my blinker is on!

2 Likes

Hey, I’ve got one of those as well. :crazy_face:

Passenger side airbag warning system? :joy::rofl:

When I had switched over to LEDs many years ago had the problem with the flashers not working with stock flasher unit on my 70. Went to PepBoys and picked up a new flasher unit labeled “for older cars” problem solved for $8.00
Glenn

1 Like

All four lights? I might like this thread even better!

I wish I had seen this last Spring…been trying to sort out the flashers with LEDs on all four corners.

Pete,
Better go back just a month or two. There was considerable discussion on the latest successful flashers. I don’t think melloyellow answered Paul’s question on whether all four flashers were converted.

OK…finally!

I got the electronic flasher that someone recommended, somewhere: 3-pin, adjustable flash rate.

Results:
-with the incandescents, the ONLY thing that flashes iS the two indicator lights—as a pair– like old VWs did, but nothing outside;
-with just the front bulbs replaced with the Superbright amber bulbs, in the front, everything flashes outside, at a slightly faster rate, but the indicator lights barely, if at all flash.

I sure like the brightness of the front signals, but i hate not hearing anything, and, not having operative dash indicator lights.

Use the load thingys and use a real flasher. Problems solved. Yeah, you’ll use a few more amps for the flashers but do you really care about that as long as you don’t drive along forever with your flasher’s on.

Forgive me if I do not understand since I only scanned over things in this string since my experience dealing with LED’s on newer Boeing 737’s left a bad taste in my mouth reliability-wise over their older counterparts. I have no desire to try them on any of my cars yet. I am curious though on the E-type if the flasher lights in LED form have trouble working properly then why not just leave those as the stock incandescents until all the bugs are worked out with the systems on the market ? On my car the flashing lights are only in the outboard sockets and all they do is flash. Does not seem to me to be much savings in amp draw or that much better lighting for those 4 sockets.

David
68 E-type FHC