LED flasher works on all directionals. But not on the dashboard indicator!

Tony- thank you for your response! Yesterday I hooked up a resistor between or should I say at the bulb socket. I couldn’t believe it but everything worked! Left signal, right signal and indicator light were all operating! Shut the turn signals off and the indicator light continued to flash. I spoke with one of the techs at super bright LEDs and he suggested putting a diode in. I know this would be a relatively easy fix but I am determined to find a flasher relay that has a built-in resistor and a diode going to the indicator light. I may never find it, but I’m going to continue my search…
I forgot to mention that my flasher relay is made by Tridon - EL-13L-1. I purchased it from NAPA.
I spoke with Kelvin at Moss Motors today and he recommended a CeC EF33RL. I have it on order and I should receive it on Monday…

I would be inclined to try the diode fix, if one is readily available nearby

You will feel like a genuine EE if that solves your problem

What you haven’t done is consult the circuit diagram to work out how it worked before you made the modification, so it is no surprise that you haven’t got to where you want to go to.

The main indicators are relatively straightforward:- their wiring is always a 12v feed coming through the flasher can and they always earth to the chassis. The dash indicators however are typically different:- their power feed comes through the indicator stalk and go back through it to complete the circuit on the other side of the stalk. In this respect, they are similar to the alternator warning light, where you get a lighted light only when there is 12v on one side but not on the other (and with a functioning alternator, there is 12v on both sides so the light doesn’t light).

In this case, you need a 12v feed only on one side and a path to complete the circuit on the other. You can either rewire the dash indicators to function like the main indicators, or fit a pair of blocking diodes to complete the appropriate circuit to earth.

Normal LEDs are directional and work only one way. The ones supplied for these type of circuits are usually bidirectional (two LEDs in parallel but one connected the other way around to the other). This is usually why it’ll light when it shouldn’t.

Trace the circuit from the circuit diagram through the indicator stalk and all will be apparent.

kind regards
Marek

STOP. GGRRR i know there has been a lot of posts and a lot of guessing as well as some posts that should not have been posted. but in short after your last post every thing becomes clear. quite simply you have two problems… insufficient load which you have identified with your resistor. But once again Voltage is NOT LOAD, having 12v means nothing zip nada. you have posted that it has been sajested to you that a diode will fix the problem!! well yes an NO. it will make it work but it will not fix the problem. you have a back feed!!! its a short to ground. its not much but its there. you need to get that located and sorted. probably the flasher unit. as i have already posted. ALLLLLL power to your flasher unit and indicator lights, the switch on your column. COMES from the light on the dash. like this Battery to fuse to light on dash to flasher unit <> to column switch to lights to ground. so sort that first!!!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who offered help and advice with this issue! I really appreciate it. Those solution was to disregard the wiring going to the indicator light capital off and run a wire direct from the flasher to the indicator light and one to ground. When I did that all worked!! I have no idea who did the wiring to the indicator light and I also have no idea how it ever worked before… But now all is good and I just wanted to say thank you again…

1 Like

Hi Lovethamatrix…

so, a few questions please, as I am very new to this discussion…

Its now working, what with? All LED globes or some mixture?

Also, what exactly did you wire up? I am not familiar with MK9 or 10 wiring, but am becoming more familiar with Mk2 wiring since I have had to rewire mine.

So I have attached a scan of the indicator switch etc. It too me a while but as far as I can tell, the stalk switches power from the Flasher to the lights themselves AND switches EARTH to the indicator lights. They get power from the Flasher. I further attached a modified version of the same scan which is what I understand you did. Is it correct? If it is I would assume that you have only one indicator light, rather than 2 as per the Mk2, but I would have thought it might flash all the time since its the load trigger. Is that right? or maybe you did something else? sorry to be a pain. cheers

30062000.PDF (533.4 KB)