Lightened Flywheel

Somewhere down the line my 1970 4.2 will undergo a rebuild. Doing a decent rebuild, is it worth changing the flywheel to something like this? (Being offered for around $300). I‘d put in storage until ready for rebuild. Would this help getting the engine more lively? Do you think its worth fitting for a tatty driver?

Martin

MartinScherz
May 26
Somewhere down the line my 1970 4.2 will undergo a rebuild. Doing a decent rebuild, is it worth changing the flywheel to something like this? (Being offered

Save your money!!!
Bob

It will make the MOST improvement on the mental dyno…:wink:

The stock flywheel, lightened, will help a wee bit, and any competent machinist can do it properly.

The picture you show is for a race car, where you are looking for tenths.

Robert, Wiggles,

thanks. Advice enough - I‘ll keep the old one.

Martin

I read through the XK Tuning book (again, Vielen Dank!) and he mentioned that the standard flywheel can be lightened by turning it down; almost by half I think.
On the other hand I like how the E is almost impossible to stall and it should help with the tickover smoothness?
But that flywheel sure looks good.
Also I can’t find it, has it sold?

Pm sent, it was a local ad. The seller phoned me up, he had it in his E, after getting it from a racing guy. He took it back out, although the revving was great he didn‘t like playing the clutch to get going from standstill. Especially with a passenger. So definitely not my thing.

Martin

1 Like