Looking Carburettors For MK4

Hello, i am looking a set of carburettors for 1948 RHD Jaguar MK4, any ideas who might have
and willing to sell? can be in any condition.

Thank you
Harri

Forgot to mention it is 2,5L engine

Hi Harri,

Just for information the Wolseley 6/80 used the exact same SU set complete with electric starting carb although you would probably need to replace the needles and jet tubes.

Peter

The 2 1/2 litre engine had 2 x 1 3/8” SUs which are very hard to find, Burlen, the UK SU people don’t list that size. Unfortunately the mounting hole spacing is different to the 2x 1 1/2” SUs on the 3 1/2 litres.

The 2-1/2 Litre Mark V also used the H3 carbs, although if you are in the US that doesn’t really help as the 2.5 Mark V is virtually unknown here.

Thank you for the feedback, i have already spoken with Burlen, they said that they can build me a set of H4 that could fit but that is not original. I am located in Estonia. If any one know anyone who might have info or carburettor bodies let me know, please.

Harri

If everyone does not mind my piggy backing on this coversation I am looking for a pair 1 3/4" inch SU’s at a reasonable price, Its in need of something to give it a bit of go when hill running / climbing

Are these to go on a pushrod engine or a twin cam?
I wanted 1 3/4"s on my 3 1/2 litre saloon and cobbled up carbs madde fromtall top 1 3/4"’ bodies with the old MK IV type float bowls and elect choke and it’s not that obvious
Of course the ports needed opening a bit but you have to do this in a rectangular form as the pushrods are fairly close to the sides of it. The 3 1/2 carbs sit on spacers so I just lasered out adaptors for this

I used MGB rockers for 3/8" valve lift and cleaned up the ports too.

f you plan to run alcohol fuels, you would need the bigger H8 type float bowls.[ and jets] Which are available here to fit HD type carbs
I picked up one on Monday to contrive a suitable carby fo r the blower on the new car.

namely for a push 6 3.5 Litre , no fancy fuels thanks Ed for the ideas. I have heard of & seen a couple of cars with the MGB rockers but it appeared they needed quite a bit of clearance machining for the rods.

Not a lot, Just elongate the holes in the head on the side they lean towards a little … at an angle. The rods only lean about a degree more, and the made up pushrods to match the MG balls are smaller dia, which helps clearance. But probably the easiest improvement is just matching the ex ports and manifolds
The MG rockets fits the original rocker shaft and good s/hand rockers are cheap and easy to find [ you need the ones with the oil spray hole. so that solves any issue of worn rockers and finding / making bushes.
But otherwise adding lightness [ aluminium lightness, also helps braking and cornering as well as acceleration. And I suppose fuel economy.
There’s a lot of unnecessary cast iron weight in there.