Looking for a JAGUAR 265 getrag 5 speed gearbox

(Include at least one picture)

Description:looking for a complete functional unit or unit for parts for my euro jaguar XJ-SC
The internal speedo gear is damaged
Any leads would be appreciated

Asking price (if selling):

Contact information: rick hartwell

Cost of shipping (if selling):tbd

Willing to ship worldwide?

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

Getrag 265 was also used in BMW’s. You may want to ask these folks if they can point you to a source for hard parts:

1 Like

Hi Mike
Thanks for the suggestion :+1:
It seams the BMW was considerably different then the one used by Jaguar. Jag didn’t even produce a parts schematic with part numbers on their unit. If something went wrong they just changed out the unit😩

Hello Richard, Just saw this, I have a 22 year collection of British cars and parts that I now want to get cleared. One item is a 73 E-V12 coupe nut and bolt restored but without its original engine. I sourced an original 1972 V12 engine and gearbox for the car and also after a lot of searching a getrag 5 speed gearbox for it.
I spent a lot of time trying to find one of these and I bought the gearbox circa 20 years ago from a chap in CA, they were scarce even back then. I believe it is from a euro XJS and has the offset rear mount position. It had been gone though and rebuilt for someone’s hot rod project and I was going to mate it to either the original V12 engine or a later injected unit with aftermarket engine control system. Sadly I never got around to doing the car and so it is now going to be put up for sale. I may be willing to sell the gearbox on its own.
I won’t be available to take new pictures of it in till first week of April and there will then be a 3 week window to pick up/ship.
It is clean and ready to go and has been stored inside in my storage unit in CA, if interested let me know and I will see if I can get a picture transferred from my old IPad to upload.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,
Yes still looking for the Jaguar version
Of the getrag 265 5 speed
Can you send me what photos you have until you can update
Thanks
Richard

Hi Richard,
Indeed the BMW getrag tacho drive is complete different and in no way of use for your box .
I have some experience in using these gearboxes, even have some in stock , but would strongly advise to keep your own box : let it repair/ better do it yourself ! The latest is possible if you are handy+ and have some patience .
I am at a ski holiday, but I will have a look at home for an exploded view of the box , else I will make a skizz with some pictures. The necaissary parts are hard to get , but the is a trick in using the parts of an identical gearbox.
May be the best you send me a pm
Kind regards, Roger

Hello Richard, really struggling to,get pictures to transfer from my old IPad. I will keep trying but have now booked accommodation for my trip out there and I will be in town 2-4th April so if nothing else I will get fresh pictures for you then. In the meantime I will keep trying.
Andrew

No urgency, the jag is all apart

Hello Richard,
Finally got some pictures but not sure it’s the one you are looking for.
I am certain it was out of an XJS,
Date code of 12/83 but the number on the case is different.
Kind regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew
Thanks for all the efforts and photos of what appears to be an excellent choice for purchase.
Unfortunately it is not the correct Getrag 265, possibly the BMW version. I have attached a picture of the unit I am searching for.
Thanks again for the effort!!
Rick Hartwell

| 75_XJ12_C
April 16 |

• | - |

Hello Richard,
Finally got some pictures but not sure it’s the one you are looking for.
I am certain it was out of an XJS,
Date code of 12/83 but the number on the case is different.
Kind regards,
Andrew

IMG_20240412_183351482_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240412_182231372.jpg

IMG_20240412_183136661.jpg

IMG_20240412_183221275.jpg

Good morning Richard, sorry it’s not the right one, it could have done us both a favour. Now that’s got me a bit stumped, I will have to research the numbers. I have the pedal box and gear lever for the gearbox sitting here too. It has the off centre mounting as I am sure the XJS did.
Good luck on your search,
Andrew