Looking for a radio

Does anyone know of a Jaguar AJ 9150 radio for sale? Part #DAC 6572.
Or the easiest radio replacement that is plug and play for my 92?
Thanks
David
akm190

I’m not sure if the wiring for the 1992 is different than my 1994 but I used an adapter like the one in this Ebay auction:

After you have the XJS wiring converted to modern radio requirements, it becomes a dimensional issue. I found many radios that would fit the opening without modifications.

A word of caution regarding the original radio. My research convinced me the original radios were not very reliable. There aren’t many, or any, shops that have the schematic details to provide service. If anyone has access to the radio internal service details, it would be great to have the details posted. The original manufacturer, Alpine, told me they no longer have the details of the radios they manufactured for Jaguar in the '90’s. If you find an Alpine service shop that still has the service books, it would be great to share the details with the group. One local shop told me the radios in the Jaguars in the "90’s were cheaply built and probably not worth repairing. A new replacement that fits the hole in the dash would be a better investment.

If the hole in your dash matches the one in my '94, I can give you the model details of the BOSS brand radio I used.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave
My radio dimensions are as in the photos. Thanks for your help.
Obviously I would like the new radio to work with minimal mods.
IMG_2677|375x500IMG_2683

My original radio has just quit working. I checked and from what I can tell there is power coming into the unit but after that it is dead.
Thx
David
92 XJS 4.0litreIMG_1589

David,
My 1994 had the original AJ9250 that quit suddenly as you described with your unit. I’ve obtained multiple AJ9150 and AJ9250 units that failed. Alpine built very unreliable units. That statement is from an Alpine service tech near me that no longer has the old service manuals.

The hole in your dash should fit a large number of head units on the market today. I bought an inexpensive unit to see if I could get some sound without cutting anything and the unit I purchased fit well and sounds much better than any of the original units I had in the car. The one I bought is a BOSS 742RGB. This unit costs less than $50 so it was a relatively lost cost risk. I also purchased one of the wiring adapters I referenced earlier. The wiring adapter made it much easier to connect the new head unit to the old wiring system. I did have to make some small angled pieces to attach to the sides of the new head unit to allow me to bolt it in the car but these are very easy to make with some thin sheet metal. You can copy attachment points on the AJ9150 and modify the part that needs to be attached to your new head unit. The BOSS head unit has holes in the side that work perfectly as attachment points for the two pieces. I no longer have access to the CD unit it the trunk but the head unit does allow one CD to be played so I can still use my CD’s. It also allows me to connect my smart phone to play my saved songs. These are features most of the newer units will have.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks for your input Dave
I will look up this BOSS unit. Sounds like a great option
David

Hi Dave…I have a 1992 XJS with non working radio DAC6572…replacements seem like hen’s teeth…can you give me the Boss brand unit…does it have an 8 pin connecter to the CD changer?

Hi Dave…I should have kept reading because I see you answered my question about the CD changer

Hi David…did you succeed in finding a replacement DAC6572 unit…I am also in need of one for my 1992 XJS and wonder if you know where I might get one…thanks Ian

Actually, I have found my '94 radio to be very reliable, with the sole exception of the cassette player. Same for the XJ40 version(s) – also Alpine. They are quite heavily built, but problem is that (cheap?) tiny drive belt for the player. It breaks quite easily after awhile, and I suspect that has a lot to do with the fact the radio system is mounted quite close to (and in front of?) the heater core assembly on the car. Seems, even when the heater is “off”, “ram jet” air flowing through the core while the car is in motion (and the fact it seems impossible with the Jag-designed heater valve assembly to get the hot water circulation completely “cut off” through the core when not desired :roll_eyes: ) that the belt is always getting bombarded with hot air inside the radio assembly. I suspect this result has the effect of weakening, dessicating, etc. the belt over time. :thinking: I’ve seen past posts where members have suggested using a bit thicker or better quality replacement belt when it breaks, or even just an ordinary rubber band. I personally have not taken any of these measures whenever the belt has broken in the past in my radios, but just put up with not having a cassette player. The fact that XJS radios for '93-'94 MYs is very scarce doesn’t help any in that regard. :frowning_face: btw, what is up with that mentioned Jag vendor? He still has me on “block” after many years … :angry: Has anyone else on here had issues with him?

Well, after I posted that, I should mention that this past summer I did have an issue with the operating buttons “sticking” in place. I suspect what happened there is we had a record hot summer here in N TX last year, and the extreme temps inside the cabin caused the plastic buttons to basically slightly “melt” (distort in shape), and freeze in place. :open_mouth: Only way I could get around it was to pop the buttons off w. the blade of a knife or screwdriver. Underneath each is a very tiny, pea green-colored spring-loaded “post”, which is what the button actually pushes against to activate the corresponding radio function. I could therefore make the radio function against by pushing against the posts with, e.g., the tip of a fountain pen. Only problem is on one of the # buttons I somehow broke the post off, basically rendering that particular function non-working. :open_mouth: NOT good, since that particular # is one of the one’s in my radio’s 4-digit security code #. Hence I have not been able to use the radio at all since then (and forgetting that to be the case prior to disconnecting the car’s battery for some reason :roll_eyes: ). :angry: btw, I have also noticed since then the trim around the radio has been breaking into pieces, coming off, etc. … again, probably due to the effects of age and the extreme heat. GRRRR. Definitely time for a new one, but, as mentioned, the '93-'94 MYs are VERY scarce (in running condition, w. security code) and I’m a bit of a “purist” in regard to my XJSes. We used to have a retired fellow here in Dallas who had a biz of repairing, restoring, etc. classic $$ car radios in his shop (which he vends on Ebay), including those for Jags, but apparently he has either closed the business down or possibly even passed away recently. :crying_cat_face:

Fellow jag owners. I swapped my radio for a Pioneer. It is definitely a step up. There was no size mods required. Takes a bit to get old radio out. I believe there are some forum posts on this. My 92 is away for the winter so I can’t get photos right now. I have had it for 20 yrs.
I have the old radio if any one wants it PM me. If you are interested in the car PM me. It’s for sale too.
Regards
David
Akm190