Looking for Jag Waugh tool J15

Hi,
My rear wheel bearings have waay to much end float. Researching a bit I see the J 15 spacer is a handy device for setting the clearance. Also it seems that Andrew spun one up some time ago and that it is out on loan. Anybody know the whereabouts.

Thanks, Alan

As far as I know @Carsten still has it.

1 Like

Well hey, thanks so much for making that and being kind enough to see that it gets passed around! I’ll relax for the moment, and see if Carsten chimes in.

Best, Alan

If you know someone with a metal lathe, it’s just a lump of bronze/brass/steel with a 0.140 step and an ID/OD to suit the land on the inboard end. A 1/2" hole bored through the middle lets you use some allthread to hold it in place with a plate on the outboard end.

You could also just order one of the spacers in the largest size and do the math a bit differently.

I offered it for people here on the continent who don’t have access to a tool loan crib like the JCNA or JEC offer, but as long as someone else handles the shipping cost and logistics I’m ambivalent as to who uses it.

Have you got a picture or drawing you could post? I would like to make one for myself.

It’s a while ago since I made it, and I didn’t bother with a drawing. The step has to fit inside the bore and sit on the end of the hub.

Here’s a snip out of the 420 shop manual showing the original tool. Note, it is a 0.150" step, not 0.140 as I wrote above:

Beautiful. Now…off to the lab…

Yes I do. Problem is I am on holiday, touring Augsburg to Venice on E-Bikes (Trans-Alp).

Will be back first week of August…

Carsten

Under 7 hours by E Type.

Crazy German. I spent a week in Lyon and 2 weeks in Languedoc in June.

Didn’t pedal once.

Have fun :slight_smile:

Yeah, crazy… we toured the US in 2013, South Africa in 2016, Australia in 2018 - and now this :slight_smile:

Main reason is my son - he had a severe spine operation in feb 2019, and we have to get him out of bed and chair, get him moove again, get his lungs expand. All of this does not happen in the backseat of a Dodge 4x4, and he cannot sit upright for a longer time (+1 hour) in a plane or car anyway. At school he uses his home office chair, german school equipment is from the 50s and 70s.

And walking means a lot of stress either, uphill his pulse literally explodes.

But cycling is fine, we have Haibike pedelecs with twin batteries, so we can easily do 70 km a day (just did today). He can adjust his progress to his pulse, by setting engine power output - it works great this way. His doc was very impressed when he saw my setup - Felix has an apple watch set to monitor heartbeats and make a sound above 135, and the Haibike can be set to max torque, and we can pedal slower using 1x11 gearshifts on the bikes. So, essentially, we drive, he constantly checks himself - its like a mooving lab or a test bed at the doctors except we pedal through the hills, and „free our minds“, breathing forest air…

I myself want to get some fitness back, loose some kilos as well - so we thought it would be a „tour“ like the others, like getaway with the family, survive adventures (we had a dog hunting us today and boy did we pedal…), so - thats about it.

Carsten

3 Likes

Hey guys, I’m about to to do this. Give me a couple weeks and I’ll post the tool I’m making to do it for whomever wants it.

1 Like