Looking for sources for a good used or rebuilt 3.8 and 4.2 XK engine

Not sure where the best place to post this is, but like the title says, I’m looking for any firms (or private parties ftm) that can sell me an engine.

3.8 or 4.2, not important, just need a solid, dependable engine. Stock to mildly tuned, just needs to be a no issues sold motor which means it can be a fresh rebuilt unit as well.

Any recommendations for firms that offer this are greatly appreciated…thanks!

Location would be a good place to start, Chris.

Hey David, yeah I thought about it, then figured the lack of location would suggest that it didn’t matter…however, point taken mate.

I’m in California, and obviously somewhere in the States makes the most sense, but if, say, the UK ends up being the only place that can supply me with one, so be it.

Beggars can’t be choosers, or something to that effect… :wink:

But the Costa Rica flag may put some people to “ah, too far, I don’t bother to report mine” (like Finland flag maybe does too).

A 4.2 isn’t rare. Shipping across oceans is pointless. Of course if you are desperate and paid me 10k I would put one together for you in Europe!

Thanks Kopic.

Yeah, there IS that…

I figured that as far as this site is concerned, where I’m typing from is likely going to end up being my “location”, so to avoid confusion it’s better to say Costa Rica.

However, everything about my cars revolves around where they are, which is in California, so when it comes to shipping (and my relationship with classic cars and bikes) that’s where I am.

I get that, however it appears that the UK is the place to go to get what I need…finding a used 3.8 or 4.2 engine in the U.S. may be relatively easy, but you’re at the mercy of trusting the seller and going on visual info…I did say private sources would be considered, but in order to get anything that’s within spec I’m all but certain it’s gonna come from a reputable firm.

Fwiw, I the car I’m dealing with is a 3.8 Mk2, and why I am looking for another engine is because the average turnaround time for anyone in Ca. to rebuild the engine is six months, so I decided fine, so be it but in the meantime I need to drive the car so here I am.

So, if there’s ANYONE in the U.S. that supplies rebuilt and/or verified quality used XK engines, I’m happy to know they exist, but so far the UK appears to be the only place that has anything close to an infrastructure for this stuff.

That‘s why I said get a running engine - the best reputation is factory work that has been quality controlled for decades

hjhjh//n,mn,/mnm n/ll/n

Sorry, but ??

Chris,
Vicki and I pulled an engine with a bad head gasket and installed a freshly rebuilt one (supposedly)…not kidding…just finished NOW 4/12/24 @8:45.am… you guessed it…this rebuilt (we bought) is blowing water out the tail pipe and has water in the oil…bad head gasket…
Just are no guarantees… do a search here…one will find many failed (tho not all) rebuilds.
"So, “Sorry, but??”…throw your hat in the ring… live with what happens…no other choice.
At the end of the day, I do not know what to say or tell you what to do…so best to say NOTHING AT ALL…that is what the answer to, your…“Sorry, but???”
as Paul Harvey would say…“Now you have the whole story”
Mitch and Vicki
PS…what are Vicki and I going to do…I will tell you…do a compression then leak down test…then drop the engine…pull the head…and try try try again…because FAILURE lies on the other side…we do not use 4 letter words, don’t. won’t, can’t…it is yes we can!!

I have a 70 E type engine completely rebuilt ,Its .30 over piston and head has been gone thru .I’m in North Carolina .

Hey Stephen, thanks for responding.

Interested, need more info…p.m. or your phone # please.

Thanks man!

Phone number 9199066802

I presume you are aware that a 4.2 is not a straight swap into Mk2, especially the later long stud ( ie S2 E, XJ6) type which have different engine mount bosses. Also, either version requires dicking around with cooling system connections, and generator/ alternator mounts.It can , and has been done, but will involve hassles that a straight 3.8 will not.

Hey Kevin, yes I’m aware there’s a few items to be addressed for the swap.

Thanks anyway though…I appreciate it mate!

1 Like