Looking to buy an X-type

Hi All,
I am looking to buy a low millage (under 60K) 2004 or newer 3.0L X-type. Could you give some advice on things to look for? I want one with Stability Control for better traction in the snow.

Thanks in Advance,
Bob S.
Jag of Mi

You don’t say where you are writing from, so I don’t know what might be relevant for your area. One thing I know is important, is be sure the air scoop to cool the transfer case is in place. These get left off when servicing and will result in the transfer case burning out because the lighter ends in the lubricant have vaporized. My mechanic says that the X Type is a very good car and has few problems.

I bought my 02 3.0L manual a year ago and found the AWD gave great traction in the snow. This was with an older set of miss-matched tires. Last month I installed a set of Nokian ice rated winter tires. Since then, we’ve had above normal, dry, sunny weather, so haven’t had a chance to put them to a test.

BTW, Jag makes a great roof rack for the sedan. It bolts in to hard points on the roof. The rack is made by Thule but only available from your local Jaguar Parts dept. All the Thule attachments fit on the rack. I’ve the ski rack on mine. The locks are standard Thule locks, so you can get everything keyed the same.

I’ve been very happy with my car and use it as a daily driver.

Hi Grahame,
I live outside Detroit Michigan.
Thanks for your reply.
Bob S

Hi Bob, What are you going to do carry it around in the trunk of your big old Cadillac?
Bob

Hi Bob
No the Miata is in the trunk of the Cadillac and there is room left over😋.

All the X Types have stability control and ABS, as far as I’m aware. I had to look it up in the manual, as, in all the driving I’ve done on ice and snow in my X Type, I’ve never had to rely on either. We are in the process of getting a big dump of snow in the Calgary area and when I was out driving today, the car held onto the road like a scared cat on shag carpet.

Hi Grahame,
I just looked at a 2006 USA brochure and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Emergency Brake Assist (EBA) is an $525 option. The 2007 brochureEmergency Brake Assist (EBA) is standard. So I guess it depends on the year as to what is standard.

Cheers,
Bob

We had a foot of snow on the ground overnight here. I was driving around on a lot of un-plowed streets today and the AWD and ice rated winter tires handled everything thrown at them. I know my car has ABS as it kicked in once on an icy down slope with a stop at the bottom. I’m not sure what EBA is. I hope you find a good car, as I’m sure you will enjoy it.

I’m looking to buy a good, low mileage auto transmission X-type also

I have a standard but most of the cars I looked at were auto-boxes, so you shouldn’t have any trouble. I believe both both go like the wind. Good luck finding your one. Merry Christmas to all and all a good night.

Thanks Grahame, I too have a manual (and an automatic) X-type…I’m looking for one for my daughter. They are a superb Winter driving machine. Merry Christmas!

Hi Kassab,
Have you had any troubles with your X-type That I should be looking out for as I search for one.
What part of the country/world are you in? I could keep an eye out for you while I am searching for one.

Cheers,
Bob_S
Jag of Mich

Hi Bob,
Yes, there is one BIG thing to check: the transfer case. Be sure that either the case has been maintained with a fluid change or service, or you are allowed to be sure there is still oil in it when you get the car (this will mean servicing it yourself). It is a messy but necessary chore. My one X-type has been maintained and cared for all its life, the other came from from an unknown history. I took ownership at 51k miles, and at 55k I changed the case oil…almost none to be found when I took the plug out. The X-type otherwise is a fantastic car. To be fair, my son-in-law has an older VW Passat…their 4-matic transmissions are a known POS, and the engine oil light comes on…also a known problem with them. I live in Alaska, but would come down to the states if there was a good, low-mileage X-type to be found.

Bob. The X Type has an air scoop for the transfer case that must be in position. It is easily left off when the car is being serviced and can result in the case failing from the oil evaporating over time. On thing my mechanic does as a matter of practice is to take off the plastic cover on top of the engine. Left on, these covers cause heat buildup at the back of the engine (left bank) and failure of the coils.

Hi Grahame,
Thanks for the advice!

Merry Christmas to all!
Bob_S
Jag of Mich

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.