Looking to buy my first Jag

Found it, got a copy for 18 US including shipping

Warren,
Peter knows these cars and provided a lot of helpful information in his book for prospective XJ-S/XJS buyers. I am sure you will find that his book was a worthwhile purchase.

Paul

An entire BOOK on the subject??? :open_mouth:

Paul,
Yes it is a book, but more like a small soft cover handbook. It is 64 pages long and has lots of things to consider when considering a purchase plus lots of pictures.

Paul

Chapter 4: “XJ-S’s To Avoid” has a photo of Superblack! :wink:

1 Like

GRRRRR Gregmatic … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Actually went to leave the apt. today and tech bud was FINALLY under her hood, at long last getting those two frozen, headless bolts out of the thermo covers (hopefully :pray:) … I think he knows I was about to start looking for someone else to take over on her … :confounded:

This forum has members worldwide.
Some are extremely knowledgeable and willing to do surveillance.
Even though that would be the safest route I feel it would be best.
I’ve never heard of any service that would do it with any ‘buy back’.
The last time I tried one that guaranteed results never backed that up.
A total waste of money.

Wow XJ-SC with a manual box… that rarer then a C-Type!! These things will, should go through the roof, If I had the cash, understanding wife, bigger garage, access to a free container, I’d bring her back home to blighty. Nice car Harry.

If i ever win the lottery, third thing i would do is have someone install a 5 speed manual into my V12 XJ-S!

Dare I ask?

:grimacing:

1 Like

Mine was well worthwhile Greg.

1 Like

Very cool!

I don’t know much about mating transmissions to engines but I would think there would be some options out there!

110 MPH ??? :grimacing: Be careful out there, Gregmatic … :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: We just had a triple fatality here in the Dallas area earlier this week, due to two cars “street racing” on a large boulevard. The one racer lost control of his/her car and plowed into another car that was just leaving home, killing both parents of 4 kids. :angel: :angel: Their car exploded in a fireball (ghastly way to go :fire: ). The racer was killed, too. The other racer took off from the scene and the cops are still trying to locate him/her. :frowning_face:

Just noticed something … How can your XJS be a '93 MY, when supposedly that was the year that Jag “took off” from producing XJSes, before the switch from 5.3 to 6.0 in '94 MY? :confused:

It’s a U.K. & USA ‘difference’ - the car was ‘built’ in May 1993 I think & 1st registered in August 1993 so in the U.K. it is a 1993 car, in the USA it’s a 1994 Model Year car.

Things I love about the XJS:

• I love the V12. It’s effortless, sounds incredible, yet quiet. Always has torque. It’s as if hills don’t exist. The numbers don’t tell the full story, because you have all that power across the entire rev range. It really doesn’t matter that it’s just a 3 speed.
  • Styling is like nothing made today. It’s long and low, pointed like an arrow. Buttresses like that are unique, it’s a very distinctive car. The facelifted cars are a blend of what I love about both the 70s and 90s cars, but they all look great.
  • The interior, it’s a very comfortable place to sit. It might not be able to seat 4 realistically, but it certainly can seat 3 adults if the passenger moves forwards a bit. I’m 6ft and have been in the back of it!
  • You don’t get tired driving it on long distances. It genuinely relaxes you. No other car I’ve driven does it as well. It’s not far off a Hydro Citroen but without the seasickness, and corners much better than you would expect it to.

Things about it I don’t like:

• Turning circle is a complete joke. It’s far worse than my old non power assisted van was. Also the long bonnet looks very cool, but it’s a pain to see out of blind turnings. It’s true that it is not a car for city driving, it begs for open roads.
  • I hate the magnetti marelli ignition on the later v12s. It’s a stupid design, and it’s now impossible to find new rotor arms for it. Avoid if possible.
  • Footwell is very narrow, you need peg legs really.
  • Teves ABS system sucks like all other early ABS systems do, and like the Marelli ignition is a nuisance to get parts for.
  • Any work involving the rear axle is an absolute pain. It is possible to remove and replace it on a crappy driveway, but not a job I really want to do again.
  • Maybe it’s just my car, but the heater is a bit weak. AC too and it’s got a new compressor. It does blow hot and cold, but not at any extremes of temperature. Small cabin means this isn’t too big a deal though.

What to look for:

• Well kept car, standard stuff like runs smoothly and changes gear well.
  • Check everything electrical works. It’s not that unreasonable. I looked at several and none had major electrical issues, and everything worked on my car and still does.
  • No sign of body repairs, filler, or poor quality workmanship.
  • No big puddles underneath. Oil leaks are fairly standard fare on the V12, most of the time they’re slow weeps though and not too much of a worry, they’re a deal with in time thing.
  • Bumpers in good condition, as well as any chrome really.
  • Any minor work you can spot that needs doing but you know you can do yourself, use to negotiate on price.
  • Regular fluid changes. This includes gearbox and brake fluid!
  • Signs of preventative measures are usually nice to see so long as they dont go overboard with it. Stuff like if the joints at the back have all been greased is a positive sign.

What to run away from:

• ANY sign of water leaks into the interior. Usually this is caused by rust around the windscreen, megabux to put right. I looked at several XJSs and they all had this problem, I bought the first one I found that didn’t! Pull up the carpet and check. Also look for stained headlining. Be careful with garaged cars here.
  • ANY recent underseal or respray is an immediate red flag. Run.
  • If you find the front subframe is corroded away inside the spring mounts, walk away.
  • Any sign of engine overheating.
  • Bodgy wire spaghetti by previous owners. Replacing a connector or something is fine, but I’m talking about if there has been an entire loom homemade from twin and earth cable.
  • Be careful of any sign that the car has sat for a long time without being used much. This did mine no favours. Not a complete dealbreaker but it might mean extra maintenance is in order.

Put aside another decent sized sum for maintenance. Especially if the car has sat. Change every fluid once you buy it so you know for sure it’s good. Also any other standard consumable type stuff.

Unless you’re a welder, focus on finding a body with as small amount of rust as possible, then focus on engine and gearbox.

You make all good points, but because the car is so low, in reality there is only so much that can be checked underneath of a sellers car in their driveway. Its pretty doubtful that a seller will allow a prospective buyer to jack up his car for any meaningful eyeballing. I know for sure that as an enthusiast, and will all the anal attentiveness that I put into my cars, I most certainly wouldn’t entertain to much poking and prodding by a potential buyer, let alone someone that may have something to hide, or even a lay person for that matter.

On the other hand, if I as a seller wanted to impress a prospective buyer I would be inclined to have the car setup on jack stands for underside inspection prior to the buyers arrival, but that’s just me.

I think that most if not all suggestions are spot on, but in reality it becomes really hard to bare out. The fact of the matter is (I’m pulling a number out of my hat) 99% of people are not going to show up to look at a car dressed in a mechanics garment with a trunk full of tools looking to strip a sellers car looking for everything that’s wrong (I’m exaggerating of course, but my point is, one can only do but so much).

Are you much of a gambler? You need to be if what you are seeking is an XJS. There are no ‘very good ones’, and if they are, it won’t be for long. I have a 92 model and it needs the brakes fixed. I have been told between three and four thousand to do it right. It sits, parked in my building, and I have decided to sell it or give it away if need be.

Well, I am not a gambler personally :smiley:. I like to think of myself as a realist, and in my world the suspension is going to need work, period. The real question is, how much work? In my world, I think that most people are only going to do the bare minimum of what has to be done to keep the car operational, and not more than that.
Case in point: The car that I am going through right now, the PO sent me on my way with one lower ball joint. Who does that? When I got home I discovered an upper ball joint on the other side of the car had also perished. It wasn’t until I started taking everything apart that I discovered all of the ball joints were in need of replacement. Even with careful inspection I couldn’t see that the rubber had splits in the other two until they were taken apart.

If we start talking about the engine bay of a V12 there is not a whole lot that can be inspected in the driveway of a sellers house unless the seller is going to allow his engine compartment to be dismantled by the likes of a complete stranger.

Again, IMHO one has to simply come to grips with the reality of potentially having to sort out a whole host of problems that cannot be seen.

My guess is, and I’m sure that most of us here already know that these cars are not for everyone. I think that for the most part, these cars belong in the hands of enthusiasts, serious collectors, or people with the means to blindly pay others to do what needs to be done. Anyone outside of those boundaries, caveat emptor.

I guess it will depend on where you are, but I have a trailer could probably come by, pick it up and relieve your burden :innocent:. As coincidence has it, I am going through my entire brake system as we speak :woman_shrugging:t3:.