Low coolant sensor 1981 XJ6

Hello working on a 81 XJ6 and trying to find the low coolant sensor

I thought it was in the coolant tank on the Left side of the vehicle but I can’t find it. For a neophyte can you explain exactly where it is on an 81 and what color the wire is that runst to it. I think it may have been disconnected and the wire is loose and occasionally connects.

As a side note I have an 86 here also and it has a completely different tank but i can’t find the sensor on it either

thanks
Kevin

Not a S3 owner but I recall hearing it’s on the radiator tank in early S3s; moved to the header tank later on, maybe when the latter became brown and plastic.

Kevin,
Attached is a picture of the Low Coolant Sensor Sensor, circled in red, showing its location on the front inboard side of the brown plastic Header Tank in my partially disassembled 1987 XJ6 parts car. This should help you find the one on your later Series III XJ6.
As already mentioned I also believe on the early Series III XJ6s ( before the had the brown Header Tanks) the Low Coolant Sensor was located on the radiator. The sensor and rubber bushing was probably the same but it would have been located near the top of the radiator to detect a small loss of coolant.

Paul

Hey Paul

Thanks but that is a later series 3 The 81 had a different tank but perhaps this gives me a lead

Hey Paul

Got it thanks for the lead. Stuffed under the radiator hose on the radiator. It was just loose

Kevin

Kevin,
I am glad that you were able to find it on your 1981 XJ6 with my help. You should also be able to find it on your 1986 XJ6 as well. The wire is White with a Red trace.

Paul