Lower control arm fulcrum bolt

1983 XJ6 has got me again. I thought I could get the bolts out by pounding, and I was wrong, I have bent the threaded end slightly. I am trying to find the Jag part # so I can look to buy a new one and a second one if they are out there? I tried Dave at XJ Everyday, no luck. If I find the replacements, how do I get the originals out? Press? Slide hammer? Some sort of puller?
Thank You,
Dean
1983 XJ6 Donor for Aristocat Kit car
1993 XJ40

Can you use the other end to pull it through? Use washers to make up the gap as it comes out?

JLM11859

If I remember correctly, I ended up cutting in-between the wishbone and subframe and then pounding it out with a sledgehammer. It wasn’t easy.

I can’t seem to find a replacement. What are part numbers that I can search for? Are other models equals as replacements? I can’t cut them unless I have replacements in my hand. Thank you for telling me how you had to do it. It is an adventure, for sure.
Dean

Part number was given in the post above…dont go pounding anything on a Jag with a hammer…its bound to cause damage…plenty of penetrating oil…and a heat gun or blow lamp…then grips/wrenchb on the to try to start some movement…dont rush it may take a few days for the penetrating oil to work its way in…work the lower wishbone up/down to get movement and work the oil in…Steve

Thanks, I rushed past the part number thinking it was part of his member name. I will slow down and see if I can get them out and possible (in better shape) replacements.
Thanks again,
Dean (ProQuest)

Getting it out with a sledgehammer is a very common way to remove it.

When I rebuilt my front suspension, I had to find a whole different sub-frame from a wrecking yard. Which of course had set out in a puddle for some years effectively welding the fulcrum bolts into the tubes.

I turned it up and soaked the bolts with penetrant for about a week, refreshing often. Then,with the nut on the protect threads, I beat them out with a drift and Great Dirty Hammer until I could get an end wrench on the back end and beat them rest of the way free, removing the nuts from the front of course.

Once they started moving at all they seemed to get the idea and moved easier as they went.

Any damage to the threads was repaired with a file until the nut would start, then I ran a thread chaser on to clean them up properly.

For future reference, be Sure to Slather the bolts with Lots of grease when reinserting them. The more the better.
(‘;’)

quote=“xjay6, post:7, topic:445879”]
Getting it out with a sledgehammer is a very common way to remove it.
[/quote]

Murphy’s advise, Jay; “Don’t force it - get a bigger hammer”…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

heat makes a world of difference (oxy or mapp will be needed)

pounding them out with hammer while the IFS is in the car (without heat) is inviting problems